1

While half asleep, Alexi can feel the alarm vibrate on her wrist. Without opening her eyes, she slowly getting up from her bed but then stop for a while. Few seconds later, she try to streaching by moving her whole body to right then left.

After 1 minute doing that, Alexi come down from her bed while searching for her slipper under the bed. Her eyes still shut when she slowly out from her room to go the bathroom across her room. Alexi moving like a blind person but surely she know where to go. She can hear her slipper drag on the wooden floor.

Alexi reaching out to open the pipe and hear the water coming out. She trying to wash her face but retreats as her skin feels the water, 'Oh damn, it's cold'. Her eyes widen after the effect of cold water wakes her.

"Damn, screw it..." She talking to herself before once again touch the running water. She hurried wash her face then brushing teeth. By less than 5 minutes, she out then go to her bedroom. She took one of her pants and a zipper jacket, took her phone and Bluetooth earphones on the desk next to her bed before down to the main door. She put on her running shoe and starting her morning jog.

She put on her earphones before playing the playlist in her phone. Her mind went blank as she start running. She pass through few houses and yet she still not seen any person. Alexi smiles as she likes the peaceful morning like this very much. This is one of the reasons why she likes Freefall Town, it is quite and far from any noise.

After a while, she started to change direction climbing up the hill. After running up the hill for 20 minutes, Alexi finally reach the top. She catching her breath allowing the oxygen to fill up her lungs. Feeling better, Alexi approaching the huge stone which big enough for her to sit and resting for a bit before she climb down the hill.

Her mind still blank. She only hear the heart pumping and the sound of her own breath. Moments later, Alexi eyes checking what time it now, 'it's nearly 7 already', as she sigh softly before she begin to start walking down. She start seeing few houses again after some time as she walk back.

"Good morning Mrs Wall" Alexi said friendly as she saw an old women on the front yard, watering her garden.

"Hi lexi...morning dear. You up early..." She answered as her hand stopped pressing the watering hose. She gave wide smile as she turn toward Alexi.

"Yes, as always Mrs Wall. But you up early today, trouble sleeping?" Alexi continue asking. She can hear Mrs Wall scoffed.

"I am an old woman lexi. My back hurt from sleeping too much. I can die early if I laying or sleeping..." Mrs Wall laughing as she said that. Alexi join as she heard the joke. Very funny Mrs Wall.

"I leave you with your flowers Mrs Wall. I should go now, school await. See you later. Have a nice day"

"You too Lexi..."

Alexi can hear Mrs Wall voice even she speak softly her last words. Mrs Wall is the most friendly neighbor in that neighborhood and of course Alexi like her the most among others. It is not like she has any other neighbors that like to talk to her. But Alexi doesn't really care actually.

Alexi storm inside the house and straight to her room. Her eyes slightly turn to the other room near the stairs. She can see the shadow moving under the door. 'She awake'. She comes out again from her room then enters the bathroom and she wash up. Alexi feels so much better as the warm shower running down her body which covers with sweat.

After finish, Alexi wrap herself with the towel and dry her hair with the smaller towel just hanging by the door. She look into the mirror, she sigh as she see her own eyes. Nothing. Dull. Never she saw her eyes alive before.

"Just for another 2 weeks...I will be fine. 2 weeks..." Alexi mumbling to herself and trying to force a smile. Then, she back to her room, reach out some of her books for today class and put inside her bag. She pull the towel from her hair as she know it may dry by now. She put on a lipstick and slightly comb her hair.

Alexi run down to the kitchen few minutes later with her bag.

"Lexi...morning dear. How do you sleep? Do you want to have breakfast before you go? I can make..."

"It's okay mom, I'm good. So, what time did you come home last night?" Alexi answer before her mother Maya finish asking. She open the fridge and her eyes try to find milk, before she pour the milk half into cup. She drink it as she waiting for Maya to respond. Her eyes follow Maya every move, who busy flipping her pancake.

"It is not that late Lexi. Well...i think it before midnight."

"I know, i know. It is not save mom..." Maya said before Alexi even said it, as she know what Alexi want to say. She glance to her daughter as she heard Alexi sighing after that.

"Mom...it's not safe out there. You don't know what a person had in their head. They can do bad things-"

Maya chuckle, which make Alexi rolled her eyes.

"Dear...I'm the mommy here. Don't worry so much, I can take care of myself. Well...maybe not good as you, but I will be fine." Said Maya half joking. It is true that Alexi is stronger because she did boxing for a year now.

"Fine...just be careful, okay. You can ask uncle Mike if it is too late when your shift end. He have a car you know." Alexi suggest to Maya. Mike is Maya older brother and it been a year since he and her wife move to the town 30 minutes from Freefall. It is also near to the diner where Maya working. It may take longer time if going there using bus compare to own car.

"Mike have family to take care. Besides, he very busy at the workshop and...Helen is pregnant now." Maya reply while starting to eat her pancake and sip her morning coffee. Helen is Mike's wife and she pregnant with their first child.

Since Alexi cannot say anymore after hearing what Maya said, she get up and ready to leave. Maya smile when she know she just won.

"Okay...I get going then. I doing my shift at Mrs Wall Mart after school and maybe I'll stop at Henry's place." Alexi generally tells her plan for today to make Maya not worry about her. Maya nodded as she eating. She knows all the people that Alexi mentioned; Mrs Wall is their neighbour who owns a mart where Alexi is doing part time and Henry is the owner of a boxing place who is Maya's friend since high school.

Alexi reach out to her bag but she heard Maya saying, "Don't forget to eat lunch Lexi. Mom loves you..."

Alexi take out the money from cabinet above the stove. It is for her lunch.

"Hmm-" Alexi replies to Maya last words. Maya shock her heard seeing Alexi reaction. That was Alexi always answered when she said it, all the time. Maybe because she is not the type of person that knows how to express herself, but Maya knows Alexi's feeling.

Alexi out to the yard and dragging her bicycle to the road, then she start padelling to her Freefall High School. She breath the fresh air and she smile as she feels the morning breezes hit her face. In less than 10 minutes, Alexi can see the school front gate from afar. But before she had time to cross, she was surprised by a loud car honk.

Alexi fell from her bicycle but she had time to support herself with her left hand. She gets up again while she starts to feel painful in her left hand. She glance over and see blood flowing.

"Watch out where you go, losers!" Alexi heard the voice. Ah, here we go again.

___________________________________________
The beginning parts were before they met each other.

Not Too Lateजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें