Chapter 1

I look at the town below us. My mother is there somewhere. My dad left this world when he found his way home. My twin sister was dumped here before me and raised by a Slitherbeast when our mom dumped her as a baby for taking after our dad. She has really powerful magic, but she looks just like a human with her round ears, so mom got rid of her. When I was five and still could not do any magic, she dumbed me here just like she did with my sister al those years ago. We are both a shame to our family name and honor.  Our father did not want us either. I look like a witch and my sister has magic. He hates us for it and hates our mother. We only excised because they did something stupid when they where drunk. We are just the consequence of that mistake.

When my mom abandoned me, the stars took pity on me just like they did with my sister. They blessed me with there power. My black hair turned white, my brown eyes became a mix of blue and purple. Soon after that I turned into a beast and my sister found me. My dad adopted me and loves me just like Starfall, he even named me Starlight but unlike my sister I am unable to forget where I came from and the world I left behind. She never knew what is out there. She hates witches for what our mam did to us, but I know they are not all like that. That is why sometimes I sneak outside when it is night and practice magic in my witch form. The stars did not only changed our appearance, they also give us their magic and made us speak every language there is. It does not matter if it is witch or beast, we can even speak the languages of other worlds. I love being a beast but being a witch and doing magic is part of who I am. I love to try the new things I learn from spying on the witches below us.

My sister does not care about this. Even trough she is even more powerful than me because she also had her strong witch magic. She truly hates magic and everything that has anything to do with it. To her, magic is for witches and it reminds her to much about our mom. That is why she never takes her witch form and always stays in beast form. She is a great hunter and loves our dad to the moon and back. To her he can’t do no wrong. Don’t get me wrong I love my dad, but I hate how he kills and eats everyone that makes him angry. Even if they hurt him by accident, there is no way that he will forgive them. He is also really protective about us. When another beats or witches comes to close he will attack them and chase them away. Neither of us might this much because we both never liked someone. We only have each other and that is enough. Still, I can’t help to feel lonely, like part of me is trapped inside.

I look at the witches walking down the night market and study their behavior. A normal beast of even a witch could never see them from so far away but my sister and I can because we're special. Blessed by the stars with not only magic but also special abilities.

I look at my hand where a blue flame appears. I look at the dazzling light and enjoy its warm embrace. I reach out my hand into the sky and the blue flame gets higher and higher before it disappears in the wind.  

The next day three witches appear, all three of them have beautiful green hair. The older ones have darker hair and they are both smiling happily. The third has light green hair with some brown on the end. Her look is more serious and also a little sad. Their golden eyes sparkle bright in the snow of their surroundings. I hear my sister growl beside me. She hates intruders in our territory. I push her back in her place and can’t help but to stare at the boy.

Then we both smell something weird. A human, and a beast trapped inside a witch. I feel us both heating up with anger but I calm myself down. We can’t help the beast right now. We don’t know enough about him, and dad says we should never show yourself to outsiders, not even in our beast form. Only our dad can know we exist.

We both watch the witches and human from a safe distance, hearing ever word. I smile when the boy picks up some snow and tries to lick it, but his sister hits it out of his hand. My sister points out to the human that is talking to her own hand, but I only have my eyes on the boy that uses magic to catch a bat. The joy in his eyes when he catches it before his sister makes me smile even more. I start to feel some weird warm feeling in my chest the longer that I look at him. I look how he runs of with the bat only a few minutes later and keep my eyes locked on the boy until I hear my dad scream in pain. 

Both my sister and I look in shock as our dad jumps out in anger and part of is head is burned. He growls at the human girl, and the older witch tries to protect her. Our dad grabs her, and the green haired witches appear. My sister gets angry as soon as she sees that they put leashes on our dad. I push her back when she tries to run to them and look in fear to our dad. I am not scared they will catch him or hurt him more, our dad is way to strong for that, but I am scared that He kills them all if this keep going on. What if other witches will try to take revenge on him for that? What if we lose him because of that? I don’t want to lose anyone ever again. It is my worst nightmare to lose my family and end up all alone again. Scared and abandoned just like the first time.

I look how Dad breaks free and takes the older witch and the two witches with dark green hair to his cave. He spits out some of his goop and sticks the witches to the main cave wand. My sister and I stop him before he leaves the cave. ‘Dad since you are going share this meal with us anyway, can I please have to boy? I don’t know why, but I am drawn to him.’ My sister growl at me when she hears those words dad just stares at me. Than he nods and I hug him before I run back into the cave. I cut the goop around the boy of from the rest and than pick him up with my mouth. I run with the boy to my hollow in the cave and than block it with a large rock. I let go of the boy that is shivering with fear as he looks at me. I turn in my witch form and make the goop despair.

‘Don’t worry I am not going eat you or hurt you. My dad and sister do not understand my witch part and I get very lonely out here. Ever since I first saw you, I can’t take my eyes of your beautiful face. I also love the sound of your voice and the way you smell. I am going to keep you as a companion, it is also the only way to keep you alive. My dad and sister would want to kill you and eat you, but I don’t even eat witches.’ I make a little fire against the dark and then cook some mushrooms. The boy is still shaking in the corner.

‘Those are edible. You should eat something. I can get you some meat tomorrow if you like. My name is Starlight by the way.’ Before he can say something, I hear my sister scream in pain and growl at the boy.

‘Stay!’ I change again and spit some goop over him before I leave my hollow and block the entrance.

I run outside where my sister and father are fighting with the angry witches. I lock my eyes on the older one and run at her with great speed. With all the force I got I slam into her, and she cries out in pain. ‘Luz, Blight girls, we have to go. We can’t take out all three of them!’ The eyes of the green haired children fill up with tears.

‘We can’t leave Edric behind!’ The older witch looks ad the oldest girl.

‘I am sorry, but he is gone, and we will be to if we don’t leave now.’ The witch takes the children and than flies into air, disappearing with a lighting speed.