White Knight: Chapter 4

"Pies are in the oven." Thomas had hoped for a little recognition from Sophie with all his efforts, but she left the kitchen without so much as a nod.

The metal pan was heavier than he expected and he had to use an elbow to open the door. In the dining room, most of the occupants now formed a long line that reminded him of a trip to Disney World as a kid. He found his spot in the production line and slotted the pan full of green beans into the empty holder. Beside him, Sophie carved the first turkey.

To say nobody looked excited as he attempted to scoop a helping of the legumes on to their plate was an understatement. The only reason he had any success was due to his prime location beside Sophie. Or from the dinner guests' perspective, the turkey. Although she carved the roast beast like a pro—which he guessed she was — there was still a slight delay and patrons squished together before him.

"C'mon now Garrett. We talked about this. No dessert if you don't eat your vegetables." The fork paused in Sophie's hand, her face as serious as a traffic officer with a quota to fill. One of the teens had retracted their plate the first time Thomas swayed the spoon in his direction.

Garret's face squished up like he'd licked a lemon rind. "Don't like green beans."

"But Sophie made these." Thomas scooped out half a spoonful and waved it in the air. "So you know they taste delicious."

"Well, you did make those beets the other day edible."

"Go on, just try a few." Thomas slid the vegetables onto his plate. "Make Sophie proud."

The kid rolled his eye in exaggeration, but Thomas caught the curve of his mouth. Seemed Sophie had the interests of more than him tonight. But he couldn't blame the guy. She was something special.

At least the expression of disgust on Sophie's face had turned to... shock, maybe? Thomas wasn't sure, but he was certain the way her mouth was forming a little o caused blood to rush in the wrong direction in his body. He needed to keep his wits about him to find a way to sway Sophie.

He desired to impress Sophie more than his fifth-grade piano teacher, driving test instructor, and the admissions dean combined. Because he needed a reason to have hope that when he asked her out later tonight, she'd say yes.

Unable to resist, he leaned in and whispered, "We make a pretty good team."

The flush of red that seeped across her skin sent sparks of delight down his spine. This had happened in the kitchen too, but he had put it down to the sweltering conditions and her generally overheating. But out here, in the open dining room, a sense of satisfaction settled in. Perhaps he was having an effect on her.

She sawed furiously at the turkey breast. "Will my green beans go in your memoir?"

Yes. An effect indeed. His back straightened, but he reprimanded himself not to get cocky here. He wanted smiles from her, not glares. "If you teach me the secret recipe one day."

The side eye she gave him nearly bowled him over and a chuckle caught in his throat. "I'll text you the brand name of the can I opened."

"Oh, so you want my number?" He smiled and slid more beans off his spoon. "Good."

"I never said that." A slab of turkey slapped onto a plate, and the teenager grinned at the extra thick slice.

Thomas brushed his elbow against her arm. "All you had to do was ask."

"Coming through." Brodie pushed his way between them, a fresh turkey in hand. Sophie removed the carcass and headed for the kitchen. Brodie picked up the carving utensils and dug into the bird. "Are you studying political sciences too? I haven't seen you in any of my classes."