Chapter 8:

Ryang Empire, 1854

Jun-ki POV…

Hanuel and Sung-jun are waiting for you, Nyota, and Mi-sook at the entrance of the secret tunnel,” Appa says after he enters my room.

“Appa, do you really think that it is a good idea for Nyota to be out of the palace right now? For her to be away from the best protection that only the palace guards could give her?”

“Yes! You and she will be much safer in a place where no one knows who you are.” Appa says as he, Umma and I walked toward Nyota's living quarters.

“Mi-sook, why do we have to leave the palace so late at night?” I heard Nyota ask in an alarmed voice when I walked into her chambers. She was prancing back and forth with an all-black cloak covering her from head to toe.

“Because It's for your safety,” Umma tells her after removing the hood from over her head.

“Queen Mother, aren't we safer inside the palace with you, Your Majesty, and all the palace guards?”

“If we thought for a second that you and Jun-ki could be protected inside the palace, we wouldn't be sending you and him away to a place you know nothing about,” Umma replied while caressing Nyota's cheeks gently. 

“If I allow you two to stay here, you'll be surrounded by people who are constantly looking for a way to gain control over the Ryang Empire and Adrecan Dynasty. These people are willing to do anything to be in power, and that means getting rid of the people who will be standing in their way. Jun-ki, I'm depending on you to take good care of Nyota in my stead.”

“I will, Appa.” 

“Alright, you three, it's time to get a move on,” Appa says while walking towards the door. After pulling the hoodie back over Nyota's head, I grabbed her left hand, then began to follow behind Appa. 

Nyota squeezed my hand tight when we approached the end of the tunnel. “Everything is going to be alright. I won't let anything happen to you.” I leaned over and whispered in her ear. 

“I'll send for you two when I know that it's safe for you to return to the palace,” Appa tells us as we mount our horses. The pitch black dark sky, the bristling of the wind through the trees, and the crackling of the leaves underneath the horse's feet were a wee bit thrilling to me. The long, silent ride through the woods made me feel like we were going on an adventure to an unknown world, and it also made me feel like we were leaving a home we may never return to. 

Time Skip…

“Are you cold?” I asked Nyota when she wrapped her trembling arms around my waist tighter.

“Just a little.” She mumbled next to my ear, then laid her face against my back. 

“How much further do we have to go, Sung-jun?” I asked after catching up with him.