Cop Car

After spending the entire day sleeping, absolutely exhausted from our late night patrol, I woke up and dug around in the kitchen and found some taquitos. I warmed them up before pulling out my phone and texting Jake to make sure he was alive after our night flying in the storm from hell.

Me- 1) Are you alive? 2)You home?

Sandman- Just got back from the gym
with Coyote

Me- Want to do something fun?

Sandman- What's considered fun to
you, Kazansky?

Me- Take a shower, stinky. I'll
be over soon! Dress warm!

I threw a sweatshirt and some leggings on with some tennis shoes before grabbing my keys and stopping at the grocery store. I grabbed some snacks and drinks for Jake and I before heading to his house. After honking the horn twice, Jake came out and locked up before climbing into the passenger seat.

"Where are we going?"

"You'll see," I replied.

I stayed relatively quiet on the drive and stopped in front of a no trespassing sign that hung on a chain link fence.

"Brooklyn, what are we doing?"

"Plane watching," I simply replied as I picked the lock on the gate.

Once it was unlocked, I got into the car and drove through, stopping several hundred feet from the runway.

We got out and sat on the tailgate of my rental car, a Toyota Rav4, and I was swinging my legs back and forth as we watched airplanes take off from the San Diego airport.

"I didn't think breaking the law would be your idea of fun," Jake said as an airplane took off just over our heads.

"Remember how I told you to lighten up?"

"You know I'm risking my career by doing this, right? We both are."

"Okay so take the car and sit outside the gate. I like it right here."

Jake shook his head and glanced over at me with a smile.

"What am I going to do with you?" Jake asked, his eyes following me as I stood up and watched another plane take off above us.

"Appreciate my wild soul," I replied, glancing at him with a smile of my own.

Suddenly there were red and blue flashing lights on us and my heart began to race. Jake sighed and put his head in his hands before looking to me.

"Don't mention the navy or being a pilot," I whispered.

I offered my drivers license, which was temporary due to me being out of the country for four years. The last thing I wanted to do was offer my military ID and I prayed Jake wasn't giving his military ID to them either.

While Jake remained calm, I continuously begged the officer I had been speaking to, to let us go and as I watched Jake be handcuffed and placed in the back of the cop car, my heart raced. Moments later I was also placed in the back of the same cop car and groaned, feeling guilty for getting us into that situation.

"I'm so sorry."

I glanced over at Jake and he wore a deadpan expression. He was very obviously upset with me, which I completely understood. It had been my stupid idea to come to the airport but I thought it would also be a nice place for us to talk and hang out versus watching movies like usual.

I sighed as I sat back and watched the officers talk in front of the cop car. Jake and I stayed silent but my leg jumped from my nervousness.

"Think I should make a run for it?" I questioned, clearly joking and for a moment I thought I saw Jake crack a smile.

"Maybe you should've pulled the 'my daddy is the commander of the pacific fleet' card," he muttered. "Maybe they'd let us go."

"Yeah," I replied, blowing a loose strand of hair out of my face. "What do you think they're saying?"

"I have a clean record," Jake replied. "Maybe they're talking about letting us go."

I watched one cop walk to the other cruiser and run our licenses, or at least assumed so. After a few minutes, I watched him walk back to the other officers and my heart was racing once more.

"If we go to jail I'll pay your bail."

"If your dad doesn't murder us first," Jake replied. "I have a reputation to uphold."

"Your reputation isn't for being a good boy, Jake," I muttered. "It's for being a cocky punk."

"Well that makes me feel better."

"My dad won't find out about this," I replied. "I promise."

The cop walked to my door and opened it, gesturing for me to get out. I slid off of the seat and he grabbed my shoulder, turning me around and removing the handcuffs. I moved my wrists in circles and I watched Jake do the same as he was uncuffed

"Get out of here and I'd better never see you here again. Understood?" The officer said to Jake and I and we both nodded in agreement.

Jake and I were quick to close the back of the car and climb in, leaving the exact same way we had come into the airport grounds.

"You're never allowed to choose what we do again, Kazansky," Jake sighed of relief. "That could've ended so much worse."

"I think it was fun," I laughed. "When was the last time you felt a rush of adrenaline like that?"

"Twenty four hours ago when we had my shakiest landing ever from the turbulence from that storm," Jake replied.

"Okay, fair. I set the bar too low," I replied with a smile.

I glanced over at Jake and he had already been looking at me with a smile.

"You're insane, you know that, right?"

"I'm fun," I replied. "You just hadn't gotten to see that side of me yet."

"Let's keep fun Brooklyn away for a while," he teased. "My heart needs to recover."

I laughed and shook my head at Jake's comment.

"Told you I'd change your life, Seresin," I muttered with a smile. "I'm never wrong."