Meeting the Daggers

"Brooklyn, welcome back to Top Gun," Pete Mitchell greeted me with a grin and tight hug. "You're a sight for sore eyes."

"Thank you, Mav," I replied with smile.

It had been just over four years since I had been stateside or seen my family, including Mav, who was just like family.

"You've gotten big."

"Yeah, well I think I finally stopped growing at five six," I joked. "So what's going on?"

"We needed the best and here you are."

As a personal favor to Pete and my dad, Admiral Tom "Iceman" Kazansky, I returned to Top Gun to train with the Daggers, as they were commissioned by NATO for the highest clearance, top secret missions as needed.

I followed Mav back to the briefing room and saw eleven others in the room as we entered. I walked in behind Mav, my eyes wandering towards the other pilots and weapons system officers in the room.

"Good morning, Daggers," Pete said as we got to the front of the room and I stood with my hands behind my back as my eyes scanned the room. "This is Lieutenant Brooklyn Kazansky— call sign Sphinx. She will be training with you all for the time being as Hangman's wizzo. I believe she's going to be a great fit for this team."

"Thank you for the introduction," I replied before taking a seat.

I could feel eyes on me and it made me swallow hard. I hated having attention on me, specifically when I was in a room of people that I mostly didn't know.

"I'd like to get you all in the air to give Hangman and Sphinx some time to get adjusted to one another. I will see you all outside in fifteen minutes."

I sucked in a breath and stood up, only to be headed off by Bradley "Rooster" Bradshaw and Natasha "Phoenix" Trace. I had known Bradley for most of my life through Maverick and he introduced me to Phoenix six years earlier. They had gone through the academy together and were nearly inseparable.

"Well, well, look who they let out of Naples," Bradley said with a hint of a smirk playing on his lips.

"You'd better make it worth my while, Bradshaw," I replied as I narrowed my eyes before the corners of my mouth twitched upwards. "I was sitting on the beach with a drink in my hand when the call came in."

"You bring us anything good?" Natasha had questioned which made me roll my eyes.

"Please. I couldn't even get myself packed fast enough and you're wanting gifts? Besides, I'm still waiting on Bob over there to ship me my Extra Hot Cheetos I asked for six months ago since my dad and brothers won't do it!"

As I spoke to Bradley and Natasha, a man approached us— one that had a reputation that I wasn't thrilled about working with.

"Sphinx, this is Hangman," Phoenix introduced.

The moment I had walked into the room, I had recognized two of the pilots as the men from the Hard Deck, I just didn't realize that one of them was my pilot until he had approached us.

"So your dad is the commander of the Pacific Fleet," Hangman said as he looked down at me.

"I'm aware," I replied as I placed my hands on my hips. "And you are the guy from the Hard Deck who owes me two hundred dollars."

"Whoa," Rooster laughed. "For what?"

"Your buddy here is making bets he can't follow through with," I laughed before turning to Hangman. "I hope you're a better pilot than pool player because pool isn't it for you, Sandman."