Adulthood

Things do no change, we do.- Henry David Theoran
5 years later, I am 22 and in the middle of completing my Business in Advertising course for university. I am still in a relationship with Aaron and every day gets better. It's Friday night and there's a party at my friend Bunny's house. All my friends are going including Casey, my beau Aaron and my new friends Sharonne, Emily, Luca, Romy, Gabi, Raquel, Sasha, Tobi, Tali, Bianca, Taylor, Nicky and Dana. I know, a lot of girlfriends! We all go to the same university.

The party is at 10.00pm and Aaron is picking me up from my house at 9.40pm. It's 5.34pm now, so I think I'll go for a swim in the pool. I change into my peachy pink and white striped bikini and tie my hair into a messy bun.

I walk outside to the back patio and the warm rays of sunlight beat on my tanned skin. I stand on the edge of the pool, my toes touching the very tip of the cool water. I breathe in then out. "Oh would you just go already?"an aggravated voice says behind me. I turn around as see Justin standing there in his green board shorts. I scoff and turn back around. As I bring up my arms in for a dive, I close my eyes and breathe in and out again.

I bend down then forward and leap into the awaiting waters. I feel a cool rush of adrenaline on the thin layer of my skin. I propel my legs and as I resurface, I look for Justin. He sits on the beach recliner arms folded under his head and a smirk on his face. I growl at him and he just smiles.

I decide to get out of the pool because I don't feel comfortable in the presence of the destroyer of my childhood. I take a long hot shower and after that I sit around in my bathrobe watching Netflix in my bedroom. At about 8.50, I get dressed. It's not a formal party so I just wear smart casual. I go downstairs and wait for Aaron to arrive. In the meantime, I think about my life up to now with Aaron.

It's been more than five years and I feel like I've changed. I feel like I have something to give to the world. I feel like I belong in the world for once. I feel all different emotions. It feels nice to just take a few minutes and appreciate yourself. It think that's the best way to be an optimist. In the middle of my thoughts, I hear a knock at the door.

I turn my head and look at my watch. Only 9.13pm. I heave myself up and step towards the door. I open it and guess who it is?

"Cruz! What are you doing here? I told you to piss off. I don't want to see you again!" I shriek. "I miss you....." He pleads. I feel the stench of cigarettes and alcohol on his breath. Before this escalates, I quickly shut the door and lock it. Cruz's fists bang on the door, pleading for my love. I can never forgive him at all. What he did to me and especially what he did to Aaron. After about 5 minutes, I hear silence. I wait for about 10 minutes and finally decide to open the door a crack. I see no one and I sigh in relief. I make my way back to the couch and just and I crouch, there is a knock at the door again. I hesitate to open it but I do in the end.

On the other side of the door, is my kind BF. I leap into his arms and smother him in kisses. "Hey! I missed you!" I murmur in between kisses. "I missed you too!" He laughs. "Shall we go?" He asks.

We make our way to his car his arm around my waist. About 40 minutes later, Aaron pulls into Bunny's 3 storey house. We make our way into the house and blaring music plays while people drink to the last drop. I spot all my friends and Aaron and I push our way through the crowd. "Hey girlfriend!" I hear multiple times. Someone hands me a drink and I skull it without knowing what it was. Beer. "Come on girls, let's get dancin!" I hold Bianca's hand and I lead our line of linking friends into the middle of the dance floor.

After about 20 minutes, I hear the music fade out. Everyone turns to the source of the problem and Cruz stands behind the speaker with a gun in his hand. I gasp. "Get out of my house!" I hear Bunny's voice from somewhere in the house. "Where is Aaron?" Cruz demands, ignoring Bunny's comment. "Hey, leave!" I hear a familiar voice. I look to the door and see Justin standing there with two policemen behind him. Cruz's face becomes very scared. He looks left then right. He looks at the two policemen and suddenly darts through the crowd and out the back door. The two policemen race after him. Justin walks towards Aaron who was hiding behind the staircase. "You all right mate?" He asks. "Yeah, thanks!" Aaron shakes Justin's hand.

Justin makes his way towards me. All eyes are on him. "Are you okay?" He whispers. I look at him, his eyes holding a deep regret. "Y...y...yeah, I'm fine," I finally manage to stammer out. "So that's what your voice sounds like," he laughs. I start crying and reach out to him for a hug. He opens his arms and we embrace. Justin has a warm feeling on his chest and I feel like I have more than one guy to protect me.

I hear applause around me and through my tears I see Aaron leaning against the wall, clapping. I smile at him and he winks back.
Author's Note: Hi guys, so I'm not getting any comments and I'm upset. Please comment and tell me what you think even if it is negative. Otherwise, any predictions about what's gonna happen next?