42: Lost in the Game

Start from the beginning

She stood there for the short while Namjoon had gone to fetch the things needed for gun training, preparing herself for having to talk to and be around Namjoon, Jin and Yoongi. At the moment, she didn't want to be around anyone. Doing chores wasn't enough of a distraction, and nighttime, when everyone was asleep seemed to be the only alone time she truly got to just think.

"Today we will be training with airsoft rifles," Namjoon raised the rifle up, turning it side to side as he too eyed it. The three—Yoongi, Mara and Jin had been lined up the farthest back of the property by the junkyard. Training had begun as Namjoon's stern frame stood tall before them, a professional attitude contrasting his usual cold demeanor. That day, to Mara's surprise, he was a teacher taking his role seriously. Jin crossed his arms skeptically.

"What's the difference. Looks the same to me," he said.

Namjoon raised a brow, "Well, this one doesn't shoot deadly bullets or have remotely the same recoil as a real firearm would."

"I thought we'd be shooting today," Jin sighed.

"You expect to shoot a gun while not knowing anything about it? You'll shoot your face off," Namjoon scoffed.

"I've shot a gun before. I did it not too long ago," Jin huffed, "Remember?"

Mara pursed her lips, hearing the echo of the gun shot on that dreaded day. Yoongi also tensed up at the memory, glancing at the others with nervousness. Namjoon grew slightly awkward at the mention of it, but he cleared his throat and nonchalantly rolled his shoulders.

"Right. My apologies, would you like to lead this session since you're an expert?" He blankly asked, earning an eye roll from Jin.

"Oh, Mr. Snippy. Alright alright, go on.....bitch," Jin muttered under his breath. At the insult, Namjoon held back from smiling, his eyes still on a grumpy Jin who stared back at him expectantly.

"So, as I was saying: these airsoft weapons are a replica of the real deal, so the reloading, the safety latch, the handling, the weight, it's all down to a T. Before we can actually get you three to use a real gun, you've gotta become familiar with the facets of your particular weapon. When you get this all down, it'll become muscle memory, I promise," Namjoon explained, raising his pistol and removing the clip. He did this for all three weapons before handing Yoongi the pistol, giving him a nod of encouragement when the lad looked nervous. Namjoon handed Jin the shotgun, then Mara the assault rifle. The sleek metal shined in the sun, smooth and heavy in her arms as she inspected it.

"Your forte is sharp knives," Namjoon looked down at Mara, "but you'll need a gun one of these days," he pointedly looked at her, "Where's the Bowie I gave you?"

Mara pointed to her boot, "Down there."

He nodded, stepping back before addressing everyone, "It's faster, not as demanding. However, it's loud—for emergencies only. We only ever shoot when we know we can get away to reach safety. It draws more freaks to where we just were and not to where we're going," Namjoon explained, "For the purpose of safety, I advise you all to pretend the gun you have is real," he sighed, "I don't want you swinging that thing around like it's not lethal."

"That...is what she said," Jin muttered, shaking his head like he was disappointed at himself. Mara didn't want to, but there she was, snickering off to the side at such an innocuously childish comment from the last person she expected it to come from. Yoongi cracked a smile, and so did Namjoon, but the joking came to an end and the lesson continued without another hitch. Namjoon walked over to Mara, standing next to her and gesturing for her to raise her weapon. She did so with a shaking grip, her fingers awkward in their placement.