Lexi: "I'm his assistant."

Journalist: "Okay... How long have you been his assistant for?"

Lexi: "It's been a few months now."

I rather add a couple of months to the truth, just so she doesn't take offense that Carter should send her a newbie.

Journalist: "What exactly does your work as Mr. Carter's assistant consist of...? I mean, how does one assist the most powerful man in New York?"

Lexi: "Well, I sometimes accompany him on business trips; I handle some of his interviews; I'm also brought to work on the firm's actions abroad..."

Journalist: "Mmh... Mr. Carter is a very demanding man, isn't he?"

Lexi: "He is a man who has worked very hard at making what the company is today."

Journalist: "Are you implying that the Carter Corporation success story is largely due to the man that owns it?"

My heart is pounding in my chest. I sense this is a trick question...

Lexi: "No, not solely on him. Mr. Carter knows how to surround himself with talented people."

Journalist: "For you who sees Mr. Carter on a regular basis, how do your daily exchanges go? He must be a very busy man."

I don't really understand where she's going with that question.

Lexi: "There's nothing special to say. We communicate by e-mail or during meetings."

I stay as evasive as possible. The journalist's questions make me feel increasingly uneasy. I get the impression that she is looking for gossip more than for information.

Journalist: "Okay..."

My answers are obviously a bit too dull.

Journalist: "Our readers are primarily interested in the man, rather than the businessman if you know what I mean..."

She gives me a knowing smile as if we were friends. I don't like the dangerous turn this exchange is taking...

Journalist: "I'll get straight to the point, he's one of the sexiest men in New York."

Lexi: "Uh..."

I have to say I don't really know how to get out of this one. I can hardly see myself contradicting her...

I clear my throat and drink a sip of water, in order to come to. Carter's words come back to my mind. "Most importantly, say nothing personal..."

Lexi: "The firm is very much involved in overseas actions, helping underdeveloped countries."

Journalist: "Mmh... Has it got something to do with Mr. Carter's past?"

Lexi: "Sorry...?"

Journalist: "Rumour has it that it's because of his childhood if he's so engaged today."

What's this two-bit psychology?!

Lexi: "I'm not interested in rumors."

Journalist: "You mean to say that you don't know why Carter is investing so much in these countries?"

Lexi: "No, I'm just saying that..."

Journalist: "Maybe you haven't been working for him for long enough..."

What a bitch! I stand gaping for a few seconds. I knew she didn't like it earlier...

Lexi: "Look, I'm not here to talk about Mr. Carter. On the other hand, I'm perfectly willing to answer questions concerning the firm and its actions."

Journalist: "Yes, I guess you your lines."