Chapter 32 - River

Start from the beginning

Attempting the nearest car, I slipped into the driving seat and felt for the keys. Missing, no surprise. Probably on one of those suckers, I though glancing at the bodies. Getting out I continued to work my way through the deserted vehicles until I finally found one that had a pair, igniting the ignition. Checking my rear view mirror I jumped at the sight of my 'passenger'... Well half a passenger, he was missing most of his torso. I really needed to be more observant!

"Not a bad find, she got enough fuel?"
Jumping for a second time, I glared at Will. "Enough, get in."

"Hay you think I'm letting you drive?! I didn't come all this way to die in a car accident."

"My other passengers not complain."

"Other passenger?"

As if on cue there came a long raspy gargle from behind me, the dead man falling forwards. Startled, I leaped out the open door, falling out onto the road with cry. Seconds later my ears where filled with laughter, looking up only to see the infected man dead as door nail, impaled on the gear stick.
"You got that right Boney!" He chuckled, sticking his knife through its head and throwing it out the car, its legs still remaining in the back seat. "You mind getting those?"
Annoyed, I pulled open the back door and threw them out. "Better safe then sorry." I mumbled as I took the seat next to will.

"That's why I'm driving, you even got a licence?"

"No, but what you going to do, call the police?"

"Fair point, but I still want to get there in one piece, and you could of picked a better smelling car, all I can smell is Boney back there."

I didn't reply, taking to watching the infected flash by as we sped threw town, knocking a few of them down as we went. In a matter of minutes we where out onto the main roads, tearing down roads that would normally be full of commuting traffic.

"Whats her name?" I asked.

"Who's name?"

"Your daughters..."

"I don't have a daughter." He replied bluntly.

"What was her name then?"

He sighed, holding the silence for as long as he dared before barely whispering. "River."

"Your choice?"

"Her... Mothers." He snorted.

"Same, my dad wanted a boy, mum wasn't fussed."

"She looked like you, you know. Long glowing ginger hair and too many freckles to count. Light blue orbs always full of wonder and life." He crocked. "She would be about your age now as well."

"Was her mother just as beautiful?"

"You should of seen her on her wedding day, I couldn't blink."

"Your married?!"

"She was only three when it happened... So innocent. And they thought I did it!"

"Wait what?"

"She died in my hands Eve, my three year old daughter died in my hand." I

I gasped, he was practically shouting now, tears budding in his eyes.

"I didn't know what to do, there was just so much blood, she was so pale... I could feel her heart beating faster and faster until it just stopped. She was gagging on her own blood for crying out loud." He paused, keeping his eyes dead ahead, I was in shock. "Her mother died a week after I was convicted... drug over dose. She couldn't take it, even I couldn't but I didn't have a choice."