future from past ashes

Start from the beginning

The cycle always repeated.

"Everything I do now is because I don't want you or any other kid to live through what I did growing up. Just know that."

Kitsune nods in affirmation, "Well.. Thank you for doing so much, Haha."

Sakiko grins, leaning down to kiss Kitsune's head, "Thank you for giving me a reason to do it."

--

"Why are we here?" Nanami deadpans.

"You said you wanted to circle back to the park," Martinez reminds, "That's what we're doing."

"I thought you didn't want to."

"I told you, man. I'm following your lead."

Nanami tilts his head at Martinez, scoffing before looking back at his shoes stomping on the road.

"Why? I haven't asked you that even though we've been doing this for a hot minute.. Why are you following me?"

"When we got away from that psychopath.. I didn't know if there was much worth living for. You already know about my kids. My wife. I thought long and hard about just.. biting a bullet. Putting metal blade to my skin.."

Nanami shakes his head at the thought.

"But, then, you found me. Not now.. Before. You thought you were as good as dead because you wanted to save your sister. And I thought.. 'Goddamn.. Now, that's a man that has his head on straight.. That's a man that knows when to do what's hard and can follow through with it to keep the people he cares for safe'."

"I'm not that guy. I never was. I never have been. Doubt I ever will be."

"Nah, man.. You are. You're more than that. Saved my life a few times now- more than just taking out a biter I didn't see."

Nanami hated that he was still being compared to a leadership role. That wasn't him. He wasn't good enough for that.

"Then, we got separated. Damn near thought I was a goner again. But, your ass came back from Virgina- fuckin Virginia- just because you had to know if I was still kicking or not."

"I hated not knowing. It's worse," Nanami admits, "You put your ass on the line for me too many times for me to just.. forget."

"And that's why I'm following you. I'd put my life in your hands just as quickly as I'd take a walker bite for you. Just as fast as I'd jump in front of a bullet for you, man."

"Well.." Nanami sighs, "Don't do that. You're keeping me going right now. I can't lose that."

"I ain't going nowhere just as long as you ain't going nowhere, brother."

--

"Sakiko!"

Sakiko hated hearing her full name. It always meant issues were arising.

"Talk to me," she urges, jogging over to the gates.

Jesus and Aaron stumble through the gates, Rosita lounged in their arms as they dragged her in. Sakiko's eyes widen, panicked as she runs over to them.

"She's alive. She's alive," Jesus assures, "We found her out there. She's bad injured though."

"Eduardo, get Enid ready- tell her it's an emergency with head trauma," Sakiko orders.

Eduardo takes off in a run to the med trailer as Sakiko takes Aaron's spot to help carry Rosita.

"Tia?" Kitsune asks, "Is that Tia?"

"Kitsu, I need you to go inside and wait for me, okay?"

"I can help-"

"I know you can, baby. But, not everyone can be there. Go help Tammy get laundry done up, all right?"