Chapter 67

September 1998

Ever since Draco told Hermione there was a spy, Tonks had silently been taking the Order members away individually for interrogation with Veritaserum, removal from the Imperius Curse if necessary, checking for signs of Obliviation, and instructing them to tell no one. After each one was cleared, Hermione modified their Portkeys to transport them to the camp site Remus was setting up with the aid of a few others.

The plan was to abandon the safe houses and evacuate as soon as the necessary supplies and protections were in place. But they couldn't do it until they found the spy, and Remus had to be careful – setting up the campsite without the spy catching on.

Everyone was tense, but morale was still high despite the terror looming over their heads. Combat training continued as usual and leadership did their utmost best to proceed as if nothing was amiss. They even had an impromptu party to cover up the fact that 15 Order members had left with Remus to help set up the tents and transport accumulated supplies.

It was terrifying, knowing that the enemy was among them. Stressed beyond belief, all of Hermione's waking hours were devoted to the complex Arithmancy based magic to repurpose Portkeys once Tonks gave her approval. Scared and exhausted, she had been working non-stop, sleeping little, and often times passing out over her lab bench.

Tonks hadn't been sleeping much either. At the last leadership meeting they exchanged exhausted glances, each with bags under their eyes. Up until then she had felt lonely, working by herself. But Tonks rubbed her back, trying to give her support, and she instantly felt a kinship with the woman who shouldered so much. Hermione could always lean on her.

"It'll be alright, Hermione. We're doing everything we can, we'll make it. I'm halfway there, and so are you."

She smiled weakly, and Tonks continued, squeezing her upper arm affectionately.

"I want you to go to bed early, and sleep as long as you have to. We're each going to start making mistakes if we continue like this."

"But–" she protested.

"We know we have more time," Tonks answered, running her hand over her face. "The raid won't happen tonight. Or tomorrow. Or the day after that."

Hermione raised her eyebrows curiously. "How do you know?"

"Draco's friends haven't been recruited yet, have they? He's been worried about that since graduation and there's been non-stop talk this summer of crushing the Order with their far superior numbers."

"They have the superior numbers."

"Yes and no. Not enough to crush us. Not yet. But they will."

Hermione didn't know how Tonks had any brain cells left with so little sleep.

"Oh."

"So sleep tight, yeah? Rest that mind of yours. We need it."

Hermione eyed her suspiciously. "Are you going to?"

Tonks gave her a warm smile. "Yes, Hermione. Everyone is going to bed early. We've been racing at breakneck speed and we all need it. No more Wide-Eye Potion tonight. We'll start up again tomorrow, late afternoon."

"Thank you."

Tonks morphed her nose and mouth to a duck bill and Hermione huffed an exhausted laugh.

The older witch pointed at her. "Never fails."

"It's loads better than that evil clown face."

~

Minerva was aiding Tonks with the interrogations, the Order was secretly preparing the secure camp site, and despite the much needed rest, Hermione felt like she was running as fast as she could in a race she couldn't hope to win.