Chapter 18

December 1997

December 1997

The Galleon warmed. He was contacting her again!

Teaching Malfoy the Patronus charm must have engendered quite a bit of good will. Hermione was grateful for such an excellent opportunity since she frustratingly hadn't gotten anywhere with Kingsley on Draco and Narcissa's pardon; he said it was still too early.

The rest of the Order leadership had been extremely happy with the Rowle plans though, and the information they had gotten from Rowle himself. Apparently, the Death Eater was in charge of - among other things - leveraging the Dementors through the Ministry. Remus and the Aurors helping to train the Order reacted by beginning to train everyone in casting a corporeal Patronus.

Hermione wondered if coming into contact with the Dementors was the reason Malfoy had asked her to teach him the Patronus Charm.

I want to bend you over.

Hermione felt a brief twinge of heat at the thought of him doing precisely that to her. The Galleon communications really seemed like flirting now. It was different when she couldn't stand Malfoy and simply dealt with him because she had to.

But now she was... curious.

There was nothing between them. That would be absolutely ridiculous. But the faint attraction she was starting to feel made these short missives seem like a betrayal of Ron.

Which was stupid. There was nothing to betray him with.

And even if she found some other bloke attractive, it didn't mean anything when it wasn't acted upon, right? Harry and Ron both found Fleur attractive, but they wouldn't do anything with her. And they found that Muggle woman she had Polyjuiced herself as attractive. But she had to admit, finding Draco Malfoy attractive wasn't the same as finding Fleur attractive, or the Muggle woman.

Hermione sighed in resignation. Regardless of how wrong it was, she had a role to play as his handler. If anyone found his Galleon, or hers, it would look like they were communicating about sneaking off to have sex. It was a good cover, even if it made her uncomfortable. And to be honest, a small part of her got a thrill out of it. A very small part.

She looked down at the glowing letters on the Galleon and smiled wickedly.

So you're done stroking your wand?

There was a brief pause.

I'd rather you stroke it for me.

She couldn't help it. The images came unbidden. She thought of herself walking up to him while his fox was bouncing around the room and reaching into his pants. He'd look down at her with that smirk of his...

She squeezed her eyes shut. Enough.

Half hour.

She went to the loo to wash her face and changed out of her pajamas and into a standard jumper and jeans like she always wore when she met him. It was fine. There was nothing unusual about any of this. So Malfoy was a bit attractive. So was Charlie Weasley. So was Bill Weasley. So was Oliver Wood. So was Victor Krum. Aside from the fact that they were all Quidditch players at one point, it didn't mean anything. Ron found other women attractive but still wanted to be with her. She found other blokes attractive but still wanted to be with him.