23

In front of the Iron Throne, a Hightower sat upon the imposing seat—a sight that grated on Rhaenyra's nerves. "Princess Rhaenyra, you may now speak for your son, Lucerys Velaryon," the Hightower declared, his arrogance evident in his tone.

Rhaenyra stepped forward, prepared to address the court, but her words were cut short by Alicent's interruption. Anger flared within her at the blatant disrespect shown by the Hightower, who had no rightful claim to the Iron Throne.

"If I am to grace this farce with some answer, I will start by reminding the court that nearly twenty years ago, in this very..." Rhaenyra began, her voice laced with defiance as she turned to face the usurper.

But then, her father entered.

He came...

"King Viserys of House Targaryen, the First of His Name, King of the Andals, and the Rhoynar, and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm," the knight announced, drawing the attention of all present to the King's arrival.

Alicent's expression betrayed her concern as she glanced at her husband, while Rhaenyra's gaze softened with nothing but love as she beheld her father's presence.

It was amusing to witness the King's decisive action as he promptly removed Otto Hightower from the Iron Throne, a position he had no right to occupy despite attempting to wash his hands of the matter before the King's arrival.

"I must... admit... my confusion. I do not understand why petitions are being heard over a settled succession. Besides, Lord Corlys Velaryon is here to speak on behalf of his brother regarding his grandson's petition," the King declared, his tone reflecting his bewilderment as he addressed the court. Lord Corlys stepped forward, facing the King with a respectful demeanor.

"Indeed, My King," Lord Corlys began, his voice steady as he addressed the monarch. "Ser Laenor Velaryon is still alive and present. He desired his trueborn son, Lucerys Velaryon, to inherit Driftmark after him. I offered him my full support in this matter," Lord Corlys explained, a warm smile directed at his son.

"I am the heir of Driftmark, Laenor Velaryon. And Lucerys Velaryon, my second son, will inherit it after me. Nothing in this world could alter that fact," Laenor affirmed, standing firm against his uncle's opposition.

Vaemond's surprise was evident as the situation took an unexpected turn. He had been certain that both the Hand and the Queen would support him, but the King's entrance had changed everything.

"You!" Vaemond snarled at his nephew, but Laenor stood his ground, refusing to be intimidated. "I only wanted our bloodline to continue, and you will end it with that—" Vaemond's words were cut off abruptly.

"Lucerys is a Velaryon! It's evident to everyone here! He is my blood. No matter what you believe, he is my son," Laenor asserted passionately, his voice carrying a hint of pain as he defended his son, causing Lucerys to flinch at the intensity of the moment.

As Corlys vehemently defended Lucerys, the young prince felt a swell of gratitude towards his father for standing up for him. However, he couldn't shake the unease that settled in his stomach at the prospect of causing discord among his family.

"Our bloodline will not end, Brother. Despite the accusations you level against him, Lucerys is indeed a Velaryon, and I won't allow you to deny that," Corlys asserted, his voice resolute in defense of his son.

"No! Our blood is sacred! A Velaryon bloodline that will not be tarnished by this boy. His Targaryen side might show through the years, but that doesn't confirm his Velaryon lineage," Vaemond insisted stubbornly, though doubts lingered in his mind, especially as Lucerys began to resemble Laenor and Rhaenys more with each passing day.