16

The twins seemed to have abandoned the concept of rest, as they continuously traveled back and forth between Old Valyria and Dragonstone. Their activities in Old Valyria remained a mystery to everyone.

Daemon felt a swell of pride upon seeing the swords that the twins had acquired. Sunlight and Moonlight, they called them—Valyrian Steel, but with an added magical quality that seemed to suit the twins perfectly.

Initially worried about their whereabouts, Rhaenyra found solace in the knowledge that her twins were safe and thriving. She accepted their ventures with a mix of apprehension and pride.

Laenor also shared in the pride of his daughters' accomplishments, though he knew well enough not to voice any dissenting opinions in the face of Rhaenyra's anger.

However, their reckless tendencies often led them to make decisions that put their lives at risk, much to Rhaenyra's dismay.

"I approve of you undertaking missions given by the gods, but joining Lord Corlys in the Stepstones to fight is not part of it!" Rhaenyra scolded the twins angrily.

Laenor and Daemon remained silent, knowing better than to provoke their wife's wrath. They understood all too well the consequences of challenging Rhaenyra's authority.

"You're just five and ten, how can you fight!?" Rhaenyra exclaimed, her gaze shifting between her determined daughters.

"Mother, we've been training under father. I'm pretty sure we can handle it," Daenyra replied confidently, but Rhaenyra shook her head in disapproval.

"No!"

"But Mother, you have to understand, this is who we are! We have to do something about the Triarch Corsair. Nothing will harm us; we have six dragons to protect us," Daemyra reasoned, her tone pleading.

Rhaenyra, torn between pride in her daughters' capabilities and fear for their safety, remained steadfast in her refusal. She couldn't bear the thought of losing any of her children.

"Nothing will harm us, Mother. The Gods have been watching over us since before we could even understand the ugliness of the color green," Daenyra insisted, drawing a chuckle from Daemon in the background.

Rhaenyra shot her husband a pointed glare, silently urging him to intervene. Laenor, however, remained silent throughout the exchange.

"Both of you know I cannot bear to lose any of you, any of my children," Rhaenyra admitted, her voice trembling with emotion.

"You will not lose any of us, Mother. Especially me and Daenyra. You have the knowledge that we need to do this," Daemyra reassured, her eyes pleading for understanding.

"We want to do this with all your support, Mother. You will not lose us, but we need to do this. It's one of our missions," Daenyra declared firmly.

Realizing that she couldn't dissuade her determined daughters, Rhaenyra reluctantly gave her approval, making them promise to return home safely. It was a bittersweet moment for the Princess of Dragonstone, knowing that her daughters' sense of duty and adventure would take them on dangerous paths, but also understanding that it was a part of who they were.
_
"No."

For goodness' sake, they thought Rhaenyra Targaryen would be the hardest to convince, but here was the Lord of Tides, declining them. He had actually returned because the twins summoned him.

"Why?" Daemyra asked, her tone echoing their grandfather's earlier refusal.

"You cannot fight in the Stepstones. It's too dangerous. I know you have your dragons to protect you, but it's still not safe," Corlys said firmly, his gaze shifting between the twins and Princess Rhaenys at his side.