3. A month without love

Mauritius~

One month! It had been one full month since Akshara had left India and her husband behind. Every day, her heart ached for him. She wiped the single tear away from her face as she ate the warm broccoli.

Maya: Kya hua Akshu?

Akshara shook her head. Maya shrugged and continued to eat the pudding while Kunal gave Akshara a knowing look. He knew why Akshara was sad but his priority was his sister and sister alone. She was his only family left and his responsibility. He had lost his parents a few years ago in a terrible car crash and Maya's neck got injured. He couldn't save his parents and Maya's surgery went downhill too. She lost her singing voice as her neck never really healed. Even today, she couldn't talk longer then few sentences at a time and her voice was very low.

This had taken a toll on Maya and she had succumbed to depression. She even wanted to kill herself but ever since he introduced Akshara into their lives, Maya had been smiling again. That was the only thing that mattered. After dinner Kunal returned to his study and video called the man he had wronged.

Kunal: Hi Dr. Abhimanyu!

Abhimanyu: Hello Dr. Kunal.

Kunal: How are you?

Kunal knew he wasn't fine. His eyes were dead. Abhimanyu replied to his questions in a  monotone. After a few questions, Kunal guided him through a therapy.

Kunal: Great progress. Please run some new tests and mail them to me. Sorry, family emergency ki wajah se apka online hi follow up lena pad raha hai...

Abhimanyu: hmm (nods). Dr. Khera. Can I ask you anything?

Kunal: Sure...

Abhimanyu: Did you...Did you by any chance talk to my wife the day of the surgery?

Kunal saw a flash of hope in his eyes and hidden behind a wall, listening to this conversation, Akshara closed her mouth with her hands to control her sob. She could hear the hope Kunal was seeing but he crushed it by refusing it. Abhimanyu's face became stoic again and he ended the call quickly after that.

Kunal: (in mind) Sorry Dr. Birla. Mujhe apse koi dushmani nahi hai but your wife is the key to my sister's happiness and I don't care how my people I ruin to get that...

Akshara realised the call had ended and quickly ran to her room. She closed the door and sank to the floor.

Akshara: I am sorry Abhi!! I am so so sorry!!... (cries) Mujhe ye krna pada.... (wipes her tears) pr dekho na, kuch hi dino me tum apne pehle pyaar ke pass laut jaoge. Tum surgeries krne me busy ho jaoge aur ye waqt bhi kat jayega....

She picked up her phone- a device she only used to contact Kheras when it was time to pick her up from music studio. This whole month, she had been practising day and night for Maya's entry song for the competition. She wanted to call Abhimanyu desperately but she knew she should wait till Abhimanyu's follow up sessions are complete. Abhimanyu would rush to get her the moment he realises what is going on and Khera would stop assisting Abhimanyu's recovery.

However, there was another, more serious reason. In the same city, lived her brother. He was admitted to a trauma centre and was undergoing therapy. Akshara knew, the moment she returns to family, Kairav would have to return as well. Her brother was in no condition for that! He had broken down and was a high risk patient due to his suicidal tendencies. Akshara knew she needed to gather solid proof of his innocence and wait for him to get a little better before she returned home. Abhimanyu might accept them but others would need proof to stay off Kairav's case and let him heal.

Thinking about him, Akshara called for a follow up from Kairav's doctor. There was hardly any improvement but the doctor asked her to not lose hope.

Doctor: We are working our best for your brother but it would be good if you'd stop by to see him. He needs it.