2. A selfish decision

Akshara sat in the cab. Her brother put his head in her lap, he was shivering badly.

Akshara: Police station jaana hai...

Kairav: N-nahi nahi Akshu....Akshu maine kuch nahi kiya...Mai mr jaunga...

He sobbed in her lap. Akshara's heart cried for her brother.

Akshara: Bhaiya, is tarah se bhaag kr aap sbki nazron me mujrim ban jaoge. Trust me bhai, hum lawyer se baat karenge. We'll get you a bail and go the legal way with it. Please bhai, smjho meri baat ko. Bhaagne se blame aap hi par aa jayega....Trust krte ho na aap apni Akshu pr?

Kairav nodded weakly. Akshara wiped her tears and bought Kairav to the police station. She held his shivering hands in hers and began walking towards the building.

Akshara: Ye toh?

Akshara stilled when she saw a familiar vehicle in the parking. It was Birlas' car. She took Kairav and they were about to step inside when they heard her- Mahima. There was venom in her tone as she roared at the policemen to find her daughter's murderer. She urged them to kill him on spot but get her daughter justice as soon as possible. The police tried to calm her down but damage was done. Kairav was scared all over again.

Kairav: Suna tune? Inke hathon marne se accha hai mai khud mr jaun...

He pulled out of Akshara's grip and ran away.

Akshara: Bhai!

Akshara ran after him. Luckily, no one really took note of them and policemen were much to focused on the havoc Mahima was creating inside. After running for a few minutes, Akshara finally caught onto Kairav on a deserted lane. She pulled him towards something that looked like the ruins of an old house.

Akshara: Bhai! Apki behen apke saath kuch galat nahi hone degi. Aap marne ka khayal apne man se nikal do. Aap yahan ruko, mai Abhi ke pass jaati hoon. Jaise hi vo thik ho jayega na, mai usse sb bata dungi. I am sure he will help us to bring the truth to light and protect you from Taiji's schemes. Okay?

Kairav nodded like an obedient child. Akshara's heart broke seeing her older brothers act so meek but she collected herself. She cannot fall weak! Not when two of the most important people of her life needed her. Thus, helping Kairav hide, Akshara left for the hospital.

.........

Akshara was standing near the OT. The surgery was on and Harshvardhan was busy arranging blood for Abhimanyu just in case. Dr. Kunal had said it won't come to that but a father's heart can never be too cautious. Others were busy with their own things. Akshara closed her eyes and prayed when she heard the door open. She opened her eyes and got shocked to see Dr. Kunal Khera before her.

Akshara: Aap? Surgery ho gayi? Mujhe laga kuch ghante lagenge! Abhi kaisa hai?

Kunal: I cannot focus!

Akshara: Kya?

Kunal: Until you accept my condition, I cannot focus!!

Akshara: (shocked) Aap ye kya keh rahe hai!? Surgery incomplete hai, aap jaiye andr!!!

Kunal: You accept to be my sister's voice. Just until she wins her dream competition.

Akshara: Maine kaha tha na ki ek baar mere husband ka operation ho jaye tb mai unse dicuss krk-

Kunal: Utna time nahi hai humare pass. Dekhiye, agar agle do minute me mai andr nahi gaya na toh kuch nahi kr payega koi bhi. Apke pati ka ek hath poori life ke liye kharab ho jayega. Doctor vo sirf naam ke reh jayenge...

Akshara felt the ground slip from under her feet. She told Kunal it wasn't ethical. She scolded him, threatened him and begged him. She tried everything to convince him but Kunal did not budge.

Kunal: Dekhiye, ye ek contract hai. Iske hisab se you will agree to pay me by working for me in return for curing your husband. Agr apke husband ki surgery successful hui to unke hosh ane se pehle aapko mere sath chalna hoga...

Akshara: You came prepared! You shrewd man! Aap doctor kehlane layak nahi ho!

Kunal: Mai doctor kehlane layak hoon ya nahi, ye toh pata nahi. Pr apke pati ko mai hi baccha skta hoon. Delay bohot ho gayi hai. It is either you sign and I go inside or your husband loses his hand. Yeh bhi ho skta hai ki unki jaan hi chali jaye. Afterall, operation beech me choot jana can be pretty life threatening.

Akshara: Abhi!...mai kya karu?! Hey bhagwan...

Kunal: Choose Akshara! A life without Abhimanyu or a few months without Abhimanyu? Ek apahij, depressed pati ke saath poori life ya kuch time ke wait ke baad ek healthy, khush pati ke saath life? Choose Akshara! Choose!!

Akshara closed her eyes and all those moments with Abhimanyu as a doctor flashed before her eyes.

Him helping her panic attack...him with his patients...him putting his duty above all. Hell, he chose his duty over their wedding night!...him with the kids....Him telling her it is his first love, his childhood dream....lastly, him getting shattered knowing he might never do surgeries ever again. The lost look in his eyes made her decide. Dr. Kunal had carefully played his game. She had no time to look for a different doctor. Even if she found one, Abhimanyu was already in OT mid-surgery. No surgeon will be able to take over without studying the reports and that could result in Abhimanyu losing his hand- even his life! With a heavy heart, she signed the papers.

........

The next few hours flew fast. Akshara met the man Dr. Kunal had sent for her. He took her details and created a fake passport for Akshara. Akshara paid him further to create one more ID. She had no hopes now, she HAD to take Kairav with herself. There was no telling what he'd do and without speaking with Abhimanyu, she trusted no one to help them keep Mahima at bay.

She went into their room and stole his white shirt and favourite perfume. She kissed his picture.

Akshara: I am sorry Abhi. Mai apna promise todkr jaa rahi hoon. Pr mai bohot selfish hoon Abhi. Mai tumhe khud ko khota hua, toota hua nahi dekh paungi aur kahin tumhari zindagi ko kuch ho gayi toh poori life khud ko kosti rahungi ki kuch time ke separation ko bardash krke ek happy life ka mauka maine kho diya...Mujhe maaf kr do Abhi. Tumhari Akshu tumse bohot pyaar krti hai, uske pass koi aur rasta nahi hai. Pr tum mera intezar krna please. Mai jaldi se aungi tumhare pass...

She went to the OT and was glad to know Abhimanyu's operation was successful. She hugged him and took in his scent. Kissing his jaw and ruffling his hair, she promised that she will come back to him as soon as possible.

Later, Kunal and Akshara got inside the plane that was going to take them out of the country. She sighed and turned to see Kairav got onboard too. A cap and mask covering his face.

Kunal: Kya hua?

Akshara: Kuch nahi...

Kunal: Aap nervous lg rahi hai...

Akshara: Sorry Dr. Khera pr mai koi manji hui criminal nahi hoon. Aise illegal ID se desh se bahar jaa rahi hoon...dr toh lagega na..

That shut him up and he asked her not say it out loud. Akshara retorted by telling him to not talk to her at all.

Kunal: Akshara ji, bs ek baat hai...

Akshara: Kya?

Kunal: Meri behen, jiske liye aap gaane wale ho. Usse humare contract ke baare me nahi pta. According to her, apka is duniya me koi nahi hai... maine apka free me ilaj kr diya aur aap ehsan ke badle Maya ke liye gaana gaane ko ready ho. Apki awaz acchi hai but aapko stage fright hai isliye aap khud professional singer nahi banna chahte...

Akshara: Wow! Seriously! Hmm...What will she think when she learns what a fraud her brother is!

Kunal: aap usse kuch nahi batayengi!

Akshara: Or what!?

Kunal: Akshara ji!

Akshara: Bs! Aur nahi sun skti mai apko. Aur wada krke todna apka style hoga, mera nahi. Mai nahi kahungi apki Maya se kuch bhi...

Kunal nodded and sank back in his seat while Akshara silently cried, the distance between her and her love- settling like a permanent pain in her heart.

............

xoxo