Chapter 19: The Hands Of Destiny

A couple of days later, Denim succeeded in finding an apartment in Los Olivos where they stayed.

“Follow him!” They shot into the air, but Denim dodged and fled into the bush. His feet struggled with the heap of dark clay soil as he pushed through, along with Rose by his side. Running through the thick forest, Lorenzo followed them. Canopy of trees ran through him and he breathed. Denim jumped and fled while Rose followed suit. Running deeper into the dark forest. Lorenzo vividly shot at them, but they didn’t stop.

The cold air but into Rose’s lungs as she stormed into the direction and darted past the bushes and shrubs. Gut-wrenching, heart pumping, after several thrust forward, her legs became tired.

At this great speed, Denim could barely see a few feet ahead of him. It was just dark trees in the wild forest. Then he paused. His eyes pointed backwards towards Rose. She could hardly catch her breath. She fell and stood up briefly, hurrying towards him. The ground was a rocky and luckily she was on her flat. Denim knew that she was pregnant. This might be dangerous for her and her baby.

“What the heck?” Rose placed a hand on her head, the other at her back. “Who on earth are those?”

“They’re Jack’s men. They want revenge.” Denim snapped, puzzled at the situation. He never knew Jack would go this far as tracking him down into Los Olivos.

“Why would he even-”

'Kpooooh!' Fireworks of silver bullets shot at them but Denim was fast enough to pull Rose to the ground. They hid by a standing rock and continued to run.

Grunts of efforts escaped the both of them as they hid behind a tree. Lorenzo’s eyes scrolled through the balcony of trees. A gunshot wheezed at Denim but he was quick enough to escape it.

Then everything went quiet. There were five of them chasing after them. Tall built men in black lathered jackets. One had dark shades on and he was locking on a stick-sweet.

“Hey, Denim! Long time no see!” Lorenzo, the gang working under Jack Ryder. He stood at the middle while the rest searched the site with steady eagle eyes.

“What do you want?” Denim broke the silence.

“Jack already knows...we could end it here. It’s either you choose her or choose us!”

Denim stepped away from the tree, out of his heading place with both hands raised in the air.

“Rose!” He called facing her, and she held unto her breath. “Come out.”

The fear in her eyes were a fluid in a container. Her chest contrasted with the startled look on his face. As if he'd suddenly given up on them. On the plan to escape together.

“W.. What?” She stammered as she walked away from the tree. Her eyes blinked in disbelief.

“You heard me, come here!” He ordered, and she walked towards him, face to face.

“I would end it here with you, Rose. You’ve made me leave everything behind and I know, I’d have to face Jack somehow.” he shrugged.

“What? What are you saying?” tears feathered in her eyes as her voice cracked the words. She couldn’t believe he just said that to her. “Let’s run together, Denim! We are in this together, right?”

She suddenly became the scared rabbit in a wolf's den. Rose held him tight as more tears clouded her eyes. “Don’t leave me alone, Denim. I’m carrying your child!-” He pushed her away from him and her body rolled on the floor like a piece of trash.

“Uh!” she pulled up in pains.

It took her an effort to stand on her feet. Hurtful tears rolled down her sapphire blue eyes as she searched his. Slowly. Then he gazed at wanders, without uttering a word.