Chapter 9: Spiritual Baby

Denim packed his car outside. Asher and Jack helped him with some luggage into the car’s boot. Jack pulled Asher by the arm to put in the last box. Denim closed the boot and faced them while they both dust off their palms.

“So guys, this is not goodbye. Let’s just call this a brief vacation.”

“Uh, it’s fine, you know.” Jack smiled, touching his nose, then placed the hand on Asher. Fondling with his thick hair. “Asher here would be the next person to go on vacation.”

“What? Are you pushing me out?”

“I can’t push you out, your rent is reading so, I hope you also go for vacation.” Asher muttered jokingly.

“So what will happen if I leave?”

“Me, I’ll find a wife and you’ll be all by yourself.” Asher told Jack and exchanged a handshake with Denim.
“Good luck, bro.”

“Okay, I’ll be on my way now. Take care.”
Asher was to accompany him.

“Okay! Bye, Jack. Have your vacation!” Asher teased. Finally getting into the car with Denim.

Denim revised, back. In a swift, swerved out if the compound. Watching them leave, Jack scratched this head on a thought. He deepened a hand into his side pocket and brought out his mobile phone. His thumb slide through the phone’s screen at once. He dialed a contact, placing the phone by his right ear. Jack’s dark eyes unsteadily gazed at the Saturday’s blue sky till she picked.

“Ah, yeah.” A smile beamed out of his lips once she answered. “Hi, Rose. How are you?”

“Are you still at work?”

“Okay, so... Can we go out tonight to a fancy restaurant, just you and I?”
His smile dropped with the reply she gave. Making him scratch his head once again.

“Can we go out tomorrow?”

“Okay, it’s fine then.” Asher replied, remembering she was a church girl after all. “Bye.” He cut the call, a little disappointed, but he walked in.

Rose and Kimberly were at home, relaxing. “I thought he was better.” Kimberly stated, sipping on a glass of red wine.

“Jack is a nice guy. He’s smart and better than Denim or Asher.” Rose sighed and rolled her eyes at the idea. “He just needs to take it slow, you know. I don’t like being rushed into a relationship. It heads no where.”

“Hmmm...” Kimberly nodded in understanding, gulping down the drink in her mouth. “But you’re rushing yourself on Denim.”

Rose’s eyes pulled in a sudden frown. It made no sense. He just joined her church during the week and that was it?

“I’m just helping him find his way, as a spiritual baby.”

“Oh!”

“Yeah.”

“And you’re his spiritual mummy?”

An exasperated sigh escaped Rose’s pink lip, and her eyes widened in fury. “Kim, what are you trying to say?”

“I’m saying what I just heard, that you’re breastfeeding your spiritual baby.”

“Let me remind you, I am an Admin in church. And so it’s my duty to follow up with those that I brought in.”

“Oh, that’s good.” Kimberly remarked, drinking more wine. “What if you fall in love with him?”

“Denim?” Rose asked, frowning at her with an unusual intensity. “Never, please!”