Chapter 11: Fling

It was a week since she slapped him and sent him out of her house. Denim sat alone at the fruit bar where they usually met, thinking about the memories he once shared with her.

Young Rose sat by a corner outside the school workshop. She was reading through her diary, hoping the pages weren’t missing. It was stupid of her bringing it to school. Denim watched her from afar and walked up to her. Once she saw him coming, she quickly hid the book in her schoolbag and zipped it so he won’t snatch it the way Becky did.

“Don’t worry, I’m not interested in sharing your secrets.” Denim sat next to her on a bench. He snickered, and she rolled her eyes at him.

“You’re ignorant. Beck is using you!” She told him with a frown and he chuckled harder. Stopping in between his words.

“So according to you, I am Beck’s puppet, right?”

Denim adjusted his blue school jacket, losing his red and blue neck-tie.

“It’s really sad that you think that about me.” he turned to her and watched her blue eyes burn in fury. “Do you like me? Beck told me you have a crush on me.”

Rose looked forward and blushed, unable to hold it back.

“You have a good look and a pretty smile. Don’t exaggerate!” She warned him.

“Don’t exaggerate? You mentioned me in your diary.”

“I’m not in love with you. Also, one sided love is not my style.” Rose clarified.

“Maybe there is no one sided love here, how do you know?” Denim raised an eyebrow. “Do you know you have beautiful eyes? It glitters when you smile.”

“Me?” Rose blushed at his words, placing a hand over her face.

“And I’m in love with you.”

She watched him seriously at his sudden confession, and he snickered at her. “Are you kidding me?”

“Isn’t that what you wanted to hear?” His laugh settled on a half-lipped smirk. “You’re indeed delusional! You will love me to love you?”

“So funny!” Rose laughed cynically. “You love Beck right? Then go to her and leave me alone!”

“What’s it got to do with this? Beck is just a tool, anyway. We only shared kisses.”

“As well as she’s using you, idiot!” Rose carried her bag and left his sight.

Although pissed, Denim did not react. Ever since then, anytime he meets her, he tells the rest to leave her, so they bully everyone except her. Denim had liked her back then, and even now.. She’d always avoided him back then and even now. It had always been a secret they he'd dear. And now, memories about being laughed at came to Rose. She knew it was a competition for him.

Tired of the thoughts, Denim texted Kimberly to meet him there. He sometimes spoke too fast, which perhaps revealed how much agony he concealed within himself. Above all was his frame and his stature. Denim was not extremely muscular, with 8 pack abs or 16 cm biceps. However, he stood out in a crowd, which was mostly because of his way of carrying himself. Perhaps he was not the kind who had girls swooning over him. But he was sly and straight forward. Jack and Asher were the simple and innocent ones. Denim was perhaps just one in a million, who was nothing special, but all the same unique.

After waiting for some moments, Kimberly walked in. She had a black laced, one-shouldered dress on with black ankle-boots and an envelope purse.

“Hey!” she greeted once she saw him. Joining him on the couch. There was a bottle of Tequila Ley he was drinking on. His frown turned to her once she settled down to the seats, and he gently placed the wine glass at hand on the table.