Chapter 3: An Invitation To Date

‘Tap! Tap! Tap!’ Three quick knocks came from the door.

“Hold on!” A lady answered from inside.

She was 5’3 feet tall had a polka-dotted doll dress that barely touched her knees. Her wavy, ombre chestnut hair danced the way she hurried towards the door. Once she opened it, she placed a hand on her chest in shock.

“Hey!”

“Hi!” Jack replied the same way. Kimberly steeped back for him to come in. He entered and closed the door behind him with a souvenir in his left hand.

“Jeez! Is this you?” Kimberly gave him a quick, tight hug. “How long has it been?”

“Ten years actually.” Jack gently pulled back, and she held back her smile, not wanting to overreact.

“Wow!” she gasped, and he chuckled.

“I tried to make it to the wedding last weekend, but I was super busy.” Kimberly explained.

“Uh... It’s fine.” he replied, watching her closely. “It’s fine.... Look at how pretty you have become, too. What are you ladies eating?”

She smiled at his words, pulling a strand of falling hair behind her right ear. “Um... Food.” Her beam was a fountain of delight.

“I heard Denim isn’t in town.” Kimberly continued. “Did he travel?”

“Yeah, he did, but briefly. He would be back tonight.”

“Okay.” she nodded in understanding.

Jack gazed around. Even though it was a small house, it was spacious enough to occupy over two housemates. A blend of Japanese and northwestern architecture gave the house a perfect feel. Jack nodded his head, impressed by the way both girls manage the space.

“Is Rose around?”

“Yes, she is. I will call her.” Kimberly glanced sideways with tightened lips.

“Thank you.” he blinked in satisfaction.

“Good to see you.” Kimberly shook her head in laughter as she walked inside.

“Yeah.” Jack exhaled, placing the souvenir on the glassy table before taking a seat.

“Hey!” he pulled up once his gaze met Rosemary.

“Hi.” she greeted, walking toward him.

“Good to see you.” Jack's hands raised, waiting to hug her, but she gave him her side. He ended up clasping his arms awkwardly around Rosemary’s shoulders in a side hug. She avoided his eyes, looking around timidly yet, with a bright smile.

“Welcome to our home.”

“Yeah, it’s a really nice place.” Jack commented.

“Thank you.” A tight-lipped smile followed her reply.

“Yeah!” he snapped, picking up the souvenir on the table. It was a bottle of Rideau Vineyard wine, commonly known to be non-alcoholic.

“I got this for you.” He handed it to her. Since she gave him her card last weekend, Jack had planned to hand her the wine himself.

“What’s it?” she asked curiously.

“Just a little something for you.”

Once Rose collected it, she deepened a hand into the bag and brought out a long bottle of wine. Her rosy lips parted, knowing how expensive it was. His gift was unexpected.

“Aw, thank you!” her smile widened, exposing a set of dazzling white teeth.

“You’re welcome.” Jack replied, rubbing a brow. He could literally see her cheek turn red, hiding her pretty face from embarrassment.