chapter 7

YOU ARE READING
A   B U S I N E S S   L O V E

A week later, Jessie and Massimo were going to present the digital marketing strategy to the senior leadership team.

That morning, Jessie went the extra mile to look professional. She knew who she was going to present to; she had to be on point in every aspect.

She had woken up her mother very early so she could help her with her look.

"Why don't you curl your hair instead? It suits you so well," said Veronica.

"This isn't a fashion show, Mom. I need to look professional. Can you go a bit faster too?" said a nervous Jessie as her mother was straightening her hair.

Veronica sighed dreamy. "I hope one day I get to help you prepare like this for your wedding."

Jessie didn't reply anything as a lump formed in her throat. Her mother had helped her countless times prepare for academic competitions and now for meetings. But Jessie knew that it didn't hold any value to Veronica. The day her mother would be really proud of her would be at her wedding day. And since she was single now, she couldn't see that ever happening, unless Michael took her back. She was persuaded that no men would ever want to put up with an unlikeable girl like her.

"But, let's focus on your big presentation!" said her mother realizing that she was daydreaming again. "I have a surprise for you."

Veronica left Jessie's room and came back a few minutes later with a shoe box. "Here," she said as she handed it to Jessie.

"Mom, what is this?" asked Jessie curious.

"Open it!" responded Veronica enthusiastically.

Jessie opened the shoe box and put both her hands in front of her mouth in disbelief. "You bought me Louboutins?! Are those real?"

"Of course, they are! You kept talking about this big important meeting and I wanted to surprise you! And show you how proud of you I am."

Jessie immediately got teary. Moments ago, she thought her mother couldn't care less about her academic or workplace successes, but the fact that she remembered that big meeting and that she even bought her a gift, and a pretty expensive one too, really touched her.  

"Mom, you're gonna make me cry and I already have makeup on." She got up and hugged her.

"I know I don't always show it, but I'm proud of you, Jess. I really am," Veronica said while embracing her.

Hearing that melted her heart. Lately, she needed to feel appreciated and held in a genuine embrace.

They then completed Jessie's look; she looked both stunning and professional. Her straightened hair was part in the middle and tucked behind her ears. She had red lipstick on and was wearing a black blazer, a white blouse underneath and black pants. The Louboutins took the look to the next level. 

She felt that all her years of hard work in school had prepared her for this moment; it was showtime. Although she was extremely nervous, she was ready.

Later that day, she was nervously pacing around in the marketing conference room while rehearsing her speech over and over again.

"Jessie, it's time! Look alive, look alive!" yelled Massimo coming out of his office.

Jessie left the conference room and wiped her moist hands on her pants. "Wish me luck everybody!" she exclaimed to her colleagues.

"Good luck!" "Break a leg!" they responded.