Chapter Five: The Tell

Start from the beginning

"I get it." I feigned a laugh to get out of the conversation. "Well, I'll see you at lunch." 

"Scott's taking me out. We're skipping school. Don't tell anyone, please." She giggled.

"Wow, such a rebel." I winked. Allison walked off, giggling as she made a right down the next hallway. My smile faded after she disappeared. I continued cursing my brother out in my head with every word known to man. How could he?

☾☾☾

For the entirety of Harris' 45 minute class, I had managed to think of a variety of ways to make Scott's life miserable.  I was still mad, and I couldn't bring myself to let it go. I had sent Scott several threatening text messages only for none of them to go through. Wherever he was with Allison, he had turned his phone off. When the anger finally turned into utter frustration, I had concluded that I'd slip out for the day through the lacrosse field. But ditching school early meant walking several miles home. That idea quickly fell through. 

Red hot anger burned against my cheeks as I walked down the hallway, dialing Lydia's number for the fifth time this house. Each time I had been sent to voicemail. I groaned, sliding my phone back into my jeans. While I continued my walk towards the library, a figure turned around the corner and walked towards me with purpose. I stopped in my place, my head cocking in confusion as I realized the leather clad individual as my second least favorite werewolf at the moment. 

"If you're looking for Scott, trying again tomorrow. He's channeling his inner rebel-hooky player today." Derek looked at me and rolled his eyes. Typical.

"I'm not looking for Scott."

"What, late for your next class?" I retorted. Derek stopped in front of me.

"I was trying to see what Jackson saw at the video store last night if you're so concerned." The tension in my shoulders become more lax.

"I've been trying to do the same with Lydia, but she's not answering. If I hear anything I'll tell you." I offered. Derek cordially nodded.

"Thanks." He continued walking past me, fiddling in his pocket for the keys to his car. A lightbulb appeared over my head and I decided to curse myself out later for what I was about to do, 

"Hey, Derek. Wait." I called out. Derek stopped in his tracks and turned around to face me quickly walking over to meet him. "I know you don't owe me any favors, but could you drive me home? I'd rather die than stay here another four hours." I sighed. I was going to regret asking this. Derek stood there for a few moments before opening his mouth.

"Well you did almost cut my arm off..." Derek eyed me. 

"At your direction may I remind you."

"Let's go." He ordered, heading towards the side doors of the school.

☾☾☾

The car ride was uncomfortably silent. I avoided any small talk, especially with how poorly the last car ride Derek gave me ended. I fiddled with the fabric of my jeans as I grew antsy of looking out the window in silence. 

"I'm guessing you don't like Allison." Derek finally spoke up over the low buzz of the radio. I looked over to him and shook my head to disagree.

"Your guessing is wrong. I do."

"Thought you'd be defending her family instead of mine."

"Well, I didn't."

"Why? You seem so defensive." 

"I don't know." I flattened my lips, wondering where Derek was going with his questions. 

"Just trying to figure it out." Derek noted. I narrowed my eyes at him.