part XVI

"It's such a nice day out, don't you think?" Tord remarked, looking up above at the peaceful clouds, taking a bite of his sandwich.

"It really is. You know, you two should go and play sometime soon." Mama suggested, "And Tord, don't speak with your mouth full."

"Okay," Tord replied, mouth full.

Mama sighed, annoyed, and took a bite of her own sandwich. You had already scarfed down yours, so now you were just waiting for cookies.

"Mama, when can I have a coo-" You were interrupted by a great, thundering boom from afar.

All three of you turned your heads toward the sound, wondering what the cause of it had been. Storm clouds were brewing in the distance, and from them flew bolts of lightning which would set off explosions each time they hit the ground. More explosions sounded and you looked on curiously, despite the looming feeling of dread that began to hang over you.

The sound of a gun cocked behind you. You whipped your head around, fear spiking in your chest. You had turned just in time to witness your mother be shot in the head, unable to look away as the sourceless bullet flung out the other side of her skull.

She went limp instantly, all life stolen from her body, never to be returned.

"Mama?" You heard your young voice whisper, smaller than you remembered. Mama did not reply. You stood still, frozen in place.

You stayed like that for a moment or two, watching as the blood stained the picnic blanket a rich, strawberry red, until a rough hand placed itself forcefully on your shoulder.

The hand pulled you backward, toward an unexplainable darkness, cold and intimidating, that you felt rather than saw. As you struggled to turn around to face whoever had grabbed ahold of you, you realized that the hand belonged to none other than your big brother. He was yelling and screaming things at you that you couldn't understand, and looked of an anger that you had never seen before.

"Tord, please!" You begged. Despite your want to not hurt him, you reached into your pocket for your knife.

Tord twisted your arm painfully as he spotted the pocket knife, and tried to grab for it. You took your chance and sliced his arm, giving him a wound that would eventually leave a scar.

"Let go!" You screamed, closing your eyes tight as you made a bigger effort to-

----

"Let go!" You gasped, eyes shooting open. You sat up in your bed quickly, looking around. There was nothing, no one. Just your room and the light that shone careful through the window.

You groaned and put your head in your hands, hating the feeling that that dream had left in your stomach. It had been the third one this week, and they just seemed to be getting worse and worse by the day. You dreaded the next one. That... day had happened just over two months ago. You hated how you couldn't just get over it.

It was morning, about 6:00 AM. why did i have to wake up so early? you thought. It was the weekend, after all. You silently debated going back to bed, but that dream had left an awful feeling in your stomach and you were hesitant to risk having another nightmare. You decided to go get breakfast.

As you made your way to the kitchen, it was made clear that no one else had woken up yet. No one but the birds, that is. You could hear them twitter and tweet, singing their melodic songs. Morning light shone throughout the house, shining onto walls and through doorways, creating a rather peaceful scene. These early mornings reminded you of those times when you and Tord would hang out together.