6

"You're awake! You stayed! You don't think m weird... Right?"

"I don't, baby doll, not in the least." The nickname made the boy shiver and then he smiled happily, jumping onto Devon. With a huff, he wrapped his arms round Trevor's middle. "Well... What a way to start the morning."

"Eww! Breath!"

"Crap. Right. Do you have an extra toothbrush?"

"Nuhuh. Sorry."

"Good thing I have mints-" Trevor made disgusted sounds immediately, shaking his head as Devon dumped three into his mouth. "There. Better."

"Not clean, just better smell. Like air freshener."

"Exactly. Now... Wait... Trevie, boo, why are your eyes red?" Trevor blinked at him and turned away, whining when Devon grabbed his arm and tugged him right back into his body. They lay in silence for a beat, Trevor playing with his fingers while Devon chastised his younger self for missing out on so many chances to protect this boy and crawl into bed with him. Cuddling someone always seemed weird and uncomfortable to him but Trevor made it feel right.

"I had a... Panic attack. Don't be sad, please. M fine now, I just-"

"Why didn't you wake me?!" He flinched and Devon froze up, softening his tone as he gazed at Trevor with concern. "You should've woken me."

"I din't want you to be sad, Devie. M sorry."

"Next time, you're waking me up."

"...Next time?"

"Next time. Definitely. Even though I'd much prefer that never happens to you, again." He pressed a kiss to Trevor's temple and the boy gave a sound that resembled a strangled squeal, maneuvering his way out of his arms and falling to the floor. He stayed there a moment and then pulled his stuffies from underneath the bed.

"It's where I hide them from Petey so he doesn't hurt them or maybe make fun of me!" He explained quickly as he lined the three animals side by side.

"You've already met Miss Moo. She's a cow. She's pretty right?" A white and purple cow stared back at him with unblinking eyes. Okay. Devon had always found stuffed animals a little creepy with their cold, hard stares but then again, he'd never gotten as much as a teddy bear as a child. First, cuddles and now stuffies. He clearly judged things much too quickly. Or maybe it was because this was Trevor he was with that everything fell into place so quickly. Both. Probably both.

The next was a monkey. He was named Mr Sing because that's monkey in French. Devon didn't bother correcting him, nodding as he listened with rapt attention to the lore surrounding Miss Moo and Mr Sing.

Apparently, they'd met long before Trevor found each of them. Mr Sing was an old friend from his mother that he'd had since he was a baby while he found Miss Moo when he was wandering around the hospital, one day. Devon wanted to ask what he was doing at a hospital but Trevor was on a roll and he wasn't going to interrupt the story of their starstruck romance. They were both very grateful to him for bringing them together but he was always telling them it was their love that did it.

"They're my friends... I'm really lucky to have them. It's so much nicer to talk to them than be all alone all the time." Devon's gaze flitted over the boy, his thumb brushing his cheek. Trevor couldn't help but shut his eyes a moment, flushing when he realised what he was doing. He kissed Devon's thumb in a shy thank you gesture, not knowing how hard he was blushing under the melanin because of it and hurried to introduce the last of his merry crew. "This is Mr Horsey. My dad gave him to me when I was really small. My dad doesn't really... Love my anymore but I like to think he did, then, cos he gave me this! I must have done something wrong or..."