°•° 13 °•°

Start from the beginning

She watched me as I opened my mouth to respond but for some reason her suddenly soft gaze made me flustered and I didn't know how. Eventually, I just continued to tuck Abby in, saying, "It was what my mother called Bree when she was a baby."

"You remember when she was little?"

"Yeah. There's nearly five years between us so some of my youngest memories are with my little sister."

Sav's smile grew. "That's really cute, too."

I breathed a laugh, before my smile turned teasing. "See? I can be cute, too."

"Mm, I don't think that's you. That's your memories. It's not the same thing."

"Mm, I think it is."

We narrowed our eyes at each other before she cracked her smile, rolling her eyes and unfolding her arms from across her chest. "Ready to go?"

I took a breath and grabbed my three bulky bags off the couch. "I should be." I went over and started to fumble with grabbing Abby's carrier, my hands far too full to make carrying her easy. But I'd get it.

"Want some help?" Sav teased, watching me struggle for a good half minute before offering.

"Nope." I grunted. I wrapped my fingers around the carrier's handle and then tried to lift. But it slipped and I nearly dropped all three bags and Abby at the same time. I glanced at Sav who looked like she was dying of laughter inside. I sighed. "Fine. Would you mind carrying her?"

"Of course not." She easily picked her up and gave me a gloating flick of her gaze before waltzing out the door.

I huffed.

"Do you mind if I stop by Kaybree's real quick?" I asked as we made our way down the hall.

"Sure."

We took the elevator down a floor and then I slowly entered Kaybree's apartment. When I peered in, Kaybree was sitting on her couch, blanket around her legs, and facing Miranda who was still there.

Her face fell a bit at seeing the bags in my hand. "Leaving already?"

I nodded. "But if you don't want me to, I can always stay." Though I had told Sav I would go, making sure Kaybree was okay was much more important. Kaybree was always more important than any of my other plans.

Kaybree shook her head without any hesitation. "No, it's okay. I'll be okay."

I dropped my stuff by the door and looked at her skeptically.

"I promise. Miranda is good at what she does."

Miranda nodded, smiling sweetly and making me a little less scared of leaving.

I took a deep breath. "Okay... But I'm not leaving without a hug."

Kaybree smiled slightly, crawling off of the couch and making her way over to me. She nestled into my outstretched arms, squeezing me tight. I squeezed her back.

"I'll miss you," she whispered.

"I'll miss you too. But I'll call every day, I promise. And it's only a few days. I'll be back before you know it."

She nodded against my shoulder. "Love you. I'll try to be good."

"Love you, too. And I know you will." I knew she would try. If not for her sake, for mine.

She eventually pulled away and smiled up at me, a genuine smile that I savored. I pecked a kiss on her head and then let go.

"Bye, Kasi," she whispered when I was ready to go again, holding all of my things.