Chapter 33: Misguided Jealousy

Start from the beginning

She knew what these feelings meant, but she also knew it was a losing battle. It was a feeling she'd have to face in the future, but maybe— just maybe— she could put it off until after the Calamity, for these emotions were what primarily kept her going in her daily life.

"Zelda?" Link suddenly asked, snapping the princess out of her trance. "Is everything alright?"

"W–what? Oh!" Zelda exclaimed, realizing she had been staring at him. "My apologies! Yes, yes, I'm fine. Your words struck me is all."

"In a good or bad way?" Link asked carefully, striking another giggle from Zelda.

"A good way," she said with a smile. "A very good way."

Returning her smile with a gentle one of his own, Link nodded.

"Good."

"Now come on, tell me the truth," Zelda said as Link walked closer to her desk. "How did you manage to get in here without being summoned this time? It's very entertaining to hear how clever you are in order to gain access to my private quarters without raising any eyebrows."

"It was easy this time," Link said, now leaning his lower back against her considerably cluttered study desk. "I just told them you summoned me."

"And they believed you?" Zelda asked. "Just like that?"

"Don't you think it'd be strange if they hadn't accepted you simply summoned me?" Link asked. "Sure, maybe they didn't see a summoning, but at this point, with all the excuses I've given, it's probably easy to believe they've missed something."

"Well that's quite boring," Zelda said, turning to face her desk again. "I expected a bit more flamboyant; something worth allowing you to stay, since it is highly unprofessional of you to simply allow yourself in. Honestly, it could be considered heinous—"

"I mean, if you want me to stop, I certainly will," Link said. "If it makes you uncomfortable—"

"Oh stop it," Zelda said sternly. "You know very well it doesn't."

"R–right. My apologies," Link said. The princess could've sworn his cheeks had reddened slightly, but before she could get a good look, he had already looked away and back at the studies entrance, staring at the bridge that connected the tower the study was into the main bedroom in the main castle walls. "So, what's the plan for today, Your Highness?"

"Actually, I wanted to go and inspect the progress Robbie has made with the guardians," she said, flipping through the pages in her journal to previous entries. "I've heard we've really started to get them under control, and I want to see what their true capabilities are. Will you be escorting me?"

"Would you like me to escort you?" Link asked. Zelda smirked.

"Did I honestly have a choice in the matter?" she asked. "It's not like you've ever given me a choice before."

"Hey, it's not like I appointed myself as your personal knight," Link said.

"Oh? So was it my father who told you to find ways into my room?" Zelda asked. When Link didn't answer, she giggled. "Come. Let me change into my boots and we can head to the grounds."

With a nod, Link held his hand down, helping the princess out of the chair and allowing her to walk ahead before following her out onto the bridge. As they began their trek toward her bedroom, the sudden echo of gears and stomps caused the princess's ears to perk up. Hurrying to the edge of the bridge, she peered over to look down at the courtyard below. Crawling around the grass was one of the mechanical beasts, following the orders of its Sheikah guides, who were taking notes on their progress. Watching from above, Zelda smiled.