Daddy Dearest

Niall stared at Irial in shock. While he had had his suspicions - really there hadn't been that many options to begin with - but he was still thrown to hear Irial admit it so readily. Especially after he had danced around it before.

"You," he said, watching Irial. Next to him, Keenan had turned into a statue, still wearing a look of shock. "You're her father."

"You should see the looks on your faces. Priceless," Irial replied, still grinning. "Yes, she is mine."

"Why didn't you say anything when I asked before?" Niall said, starting to get irritated.

"It was more important for you to rescue Maeve from the clutches of the Summer King," Irial said, his gaze falling on Keenan and growing cold. "Really? You were going to trick her into joining the court? Haven't you learned by now that that never works the way you intend?"

"I was doing what I thought was right," Keenan said, defending his actions.

Irial started towards him, fury entering his face.

"She is my daughter, you imbecile, and if you hurt her-"

"But... why?" Niall asked, stopping Irial before he attempted to get into a fight with Keenan.

Now that he was no longer the Dark King, he wasn't nearly as strong as he used to be. And despite everything, Niall didn't want him to get hurt. Irial met his gaze again.

"Why what?" he asked in reply. "You're going to need to be more specific."

Niall took a deep breath, about a million questions filling his mind. Where to start?

"Why didn't you take care of her?" Niall asked.

Irial looked confused.

"I did," he said simply. "I sent money. Gave her the charm. And then stayed as far away from her as I could."

He took a step back as the shadows angrily swirled around Niall, growing bigger, and rage entered his eyes.

"It wasn't enough," he growled.

"I- what?"

"Do you know how hard it's been for her?! You left her with a half-mad mother incapable of caring for her!!" Niall shouted.

It was growing hard to contain his anger, even against his former lover who he still cared for. For a moment, Irial looked even more confused. But then the last thing that Niall ever expected to see entered his eyes.

Guilt. Regret.

"All I ever wanted was for her to be safe," Irial said softly. "I thought that she would be as long as she was far away from me."

Irial looked away, not saying anything for a few moments. He then shook his head and started walking away from both Niall and Keenan.

"Where are you going?" Niall shouted.

"These are all things best said in the company of my daughter so I don't have to repeat myself," he said.

Niall and Keenan looked at each other and then after Irial. Sighing, they both turned to follow him as Niall pulled out his phone and texted Seth. Best if he were there as well.

This was sure to be a trying morning.