Dark Confusion

Niall sat on his throne in the warehouse where the Dark Court resided, not really paying attention to anything going on around him. The rest of the court was doing what they usually did and Gabriel was talking to him about something.

However, for some reason, Niall couldn't stop thinking about Maeve.

He had been relieved when he discovered she wanted to talk about her father rather than what had happened between them at the Crow's Nest. Of course, now they had even more in that regard to discuss, though he wasn't sure he was ready for that particular conversation just yet.

Niall was no stranger to the physical pull someone - mortal or faery - could have over him. He had spent years with Irial giving into the pleasures of the flesh, leaving a wake of dead or mad humans behind them. It was who he was, after all. Even before Maeve arrived, he could feel the need starting to build up in him, knowing that he could only abstain from it for so long before he would give in.

And then there was Leslie. And Irial.

But this was somehow different and that was what left him confused and concerned. He couldn't quite understand what it was, having never experienced such an intense connection in such a short amount of time. It transcended the purely physical - though there was most definitely more than enough temptation in that regard - but yet wasn't exactly romantic, though he could feel himself developing those feelings as well.

He had an intense need to be in her presence. To protect her. To draw from her strength as well as to lend his own to her. Anytime she was in his arms, something began coursing through, a sort of power. It defied any sort of logic, in Niall's mind.

When she had kissed him, for a moment he completely lost control of himself, unable to stop or do anything but reciprocate. It wasn't like before, when he was drawn to humans. This was an all encompassing desire that refused to be ignored.

But somehow, he had grasped back onto reality, shocked by what he had seen in Maeve's eyes. For a moment, they had gone completely black, morphing into dark, vast pools with shadows swirling in them.

He managed to push her off, but by that time, they had returned to their normal dark blue and he wondered if perhaps it had just been a trick of the mind. It had been dark and he had been rather consumed with the heated makeout session.

"Niall?"

He started, looking up with wide eyes to see Seth standing next to Gabriel, the two of them watching him curiously.

"I'm sorry," he said, sitting up slightly. "What were you saying?"

Seth glanced over at Gabriel and gave him a short nod, then turned back to Niall as the Hound walked away, shaking his head.

"Let's take a walk," Seth suggested. Niall nodded and stood, following him out of the warehouse. Probably wouldn't be a good thing to allow his court to see him distracted and daydreaming. "Want to tell me what's going on?"

Niall sighed and pulled out his cigarettes from his pocket, not stopping his stride as he lit one and blew out a stream of smoke.

"You have to ask?" he replied.

"Something happened with Maeve last night," Seth stated rather than asked. Niall nodded, his brow furrowed.

"I don't understand this," he said.

"Maybe it's got something to do with the fact that she's half-human?" Seth suggested. "And well, it's been awhile since you've... you know. Perhaps it's just that time..."

"It's not that, though her mortality could have something to do with it... But I've never felt this intensely about... anyone," he said. Seth stopped.

"What do you mean?" he asked.