CHAPTER 36- DESIRE

Start from the beginning

Charlie and the others were accompanied by a soft breeze as they prepared for their departure. As if even the wind was trying to give them a proper farewell.

As Charlie entered the cave with Mike alongside, he found Alice wrapped in Maria's tight embrace. He found it rather unfair that just as everything was finally clear between them, it was time to say goodbye.

Alice broke the hug, wiping tears with her hand. She spotted Charlie and ran towards him. He felt a strong force as she hugged him tightly.

Charlie closed his eyes and hugged her back. He felt Mike and Maria join the hug. Charlie took a deep breath. This was the last few moments they were all together, and he wished he could do anything to change that.

 Unfortunately, no one could change nature's laws no matter how hard they tried. Eventually, they all had to accept what was meant to happen.

They broke the hug, and Charlie's eyes caught on Knave, who had his head bent. His eyes were fixed on a stone. He stared at it for a few seconds before ruthlessly kicking it away.

"Now might be your last chance to get the amazing experience to hug me!" Charlie shouted at him, then realized how Knavish that sounded.

Without raising his head, Knave said, "It would make more sense for you to spend your last moments with Alice, as this might be the last few moments she has with her ghost squad."

"Since when do you do things that make sense, Knave?" Mike asked.

When Knave did not answer, Charlie said, "Sadly, you're part of this ghost squad now, idiot!"

Knave finally looked up, and Charlie saw that his eyes were glistening with tears. It was the first time he realized that Knave could cry too. Charlie always thought the guy was incapable of shedding tears.

 "I can't do it!" Knave said.

"Gosh," Charlie began. "You're just like Mendaline!"

"Knave is a big baby," Said Mendaline, entering her cave. "I'm just practical."

"You wish!" Knave snapped. As if to prove a point, he walked towards Charlie and hugged him. After a while, he broke the hug and asked, "So, are we doing a group hug or do I have to hug everyone individually?"

Alice let out a laugh before hugging Charlie and Knave. Mike and Maria followed next. Only Mendaline stood a little distance away, watching them.

Knave broke the hug and stared at the witch. "Whose the big baby now?" He teased.

"Still you!" Mendaline replied. "And you just showed that by hugging everyone to prove a point!"

"I also did it out of emotions!" Knave protested.

"Good for you!" The witch replied.

Charlie supposed rudeness was Mendaline's way of dealing with sadness and grief. Knave seemed to understand that too and made a wise decision to keep his mouth shut. Or maybe he didn't have a good comeback. Then again, Knave never ran out of comebacks.

Charlie was yet again hit by the reminder that he would never be able to see Knave and Mendaline bicker again. That brought him out of his thoughts. He had to leave now or he never could.

Mike took one look at his brother and immediately understood. He cleared his throat. "We have to go!" He said.

Alice sniffled. "There will never ever be a moment in my life where I won't think about you all!"