𝗽𝗹𝗮𝗻 𝗮.

▁▁▁▁▁
𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙛𝙞𝙫𝙚| 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝗻 𝗮
y/n's pov

I swung the shopping bag around my wrist, my mind blank. That was the first time Iyanna and I had argued in a while. At least, like that. We haven't had an argument that bad since Detroit.

▁▁▁▁▁
Flashback
Detroit, MI; y/n Freshman year, Iyanna Junior year

I shot from deep, swishing and Iyanna caught the ball, bounce passing it back to me. I moved in closer so I was standing on the free throw line, I threw the ball again and it bounced off the backboard and into the hoop.

"Why do you give mom and dad such a hard time?" I asked, glancing over at Iyanna when she passed me the ball again. I did attempted step-back shot in mid-range, it bounced off the rim, landing back in my hands.

"What are you even talking about?" Iyanna said, I could tell she was mad that I even brought it up.

"I overheard y'all last night, why don't you just take job for now. When I get out of school, I'll take over for you and you can go live whatever dreams you want, Hollywood." I told her, shrugging as I readied my jump shot.

"Because that's not what I want to do, I want to do something in fashion, something I'm good at. Not stand around in a pantsuit all day, selling cars." She answered, passing the ball back to me hard but I shook it off.

"Well it'd only be a few years until I could take over, then you could go do whatever you want." I said, taking another shot from deep, making it in.

"I don't care. It doesn't seem to be getting through your head that I don't want to do that. Just like mom and dad." Iyanna stood under the hoop, catching the ball before beaming it at my head. I moved out the way quick enough, letting the hall crash into the bleachers of our school gym. "I thought you'd be the one to actually support me. You know, like I've been doing for you all these years? Forget it though, catch your own rebounds." And with that, she picked up her stuff and dipped.

I know I was kind of in the wrong, but I only wanted her to go easy on mom and dad so they'd go easier on me. Selfish, I know, but whenever she did something they didn't like, they'd pressure me more. I guess it was to make sure their second kid was more like what they wanted them to be. Last kid, last chance type thing.

I sighed, picking up the basketball from behind the bleachers and getting my book bag, just as the bell rung.

Great, now I'm late.

Just as I went to open the gym door, shots rang out, one after the other. I could hear kids that were still on their way to class screaming, footsteps running to get away-

Present Day

I shook my head free of the memory. In the time my mind had drifted away, I had arrived at my destination. Taking a deep breath, I walked up the steps and knocked on the door, waiting to be answered. I could hear the residents inside the house argue for who should get the door, but eventually it was opened.

"What are you doing here?" Maddy asked, her face looking drained and mascara running down her cheeks. You could tell she had been crying from not only that, but also the strain in her voice. She had on a pink robe, wrapping it tighter around her body once she felt the breeze from outside.