𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗯𝗲𝗳𝗼𝗿𝗲.

𝙥𝙧𝙤𝙡𝙤𝙜𝙪𝙚 |𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙗𝙚𝙛𝙤𝙧𝙚
rue's intro.

I hadn't grown up with y/n, but I had known her longer than the others. I had known her better than the others.

Y/n Nasir Y/l/n. Y/n was born and raised in Detroit, Michigan, moved to Cali the start of freshman year. Her birthday was May 13, but she didn't tell anyone because she didn't like to celebrate it. She hated feet, they freaked her out for some sort of unsaid reason. Her favorite color was red, but she'd tell everyone it was yellow because last time she said red, someone told her she was too angry for her own good. She hated the color green, but she loved nature. She loved art and found it in anything that existed. She was terrified of bugs, but had a pet tarantula, don't ask me how that shit works. She was athletic, but wasn't on any school team. She was smart even when she didn't try, something I wish would've rubbed off on me. She didn't like hard drugs, the only thing she's ever done is weed. Which she claims isn't a real drug. She was intersex. Which isn't something she hides, but it isn't something she happily shouts from the rooftop of her parent's dealerships either.

She was my cousin. Our mom's were sisters. And being her cousin meant not only knowing the good stuff about her, but also the pretty fucked up stuff.

The town knew that the y/l/n's had moved only to expand their dealership, which was partially true. I knew that they had moved because of a shooting at the school y/n went to. She couldn't go back to that school, and her parents weren't home enough for her to be homeschooled. They didn't feel safe with her being unsupervised that long. After mentioning it to my mom, she thought it'd be nice for them to move. That way y/n could go to a different school with someone she already knew. Me.

Anyway, my mom ended up convincing Kyra to come stay in Cali. When freshman year came around, y/n was barely able to cope with being in school. Yeah she had me, but I wasn't any good to her. She'd jump every time someone closed a locker, I didn't know how to help her with that. So I just told her what helped me. Drugs. I feel kind of shitty for getting her hooked on weed, but at least I know that's the most she'll ever do.

Her parents eventually made the decision to pull her out of school for her sophomore year and send her to homeschool. It was a great decision, apart from the fact that they still would be on business trips eighty-five percent of the school year.

Because of how shitty her parents were and how empty her house was all of the time, y/n started going out more. Sometimes I'd go with her but most of the time she was by herself. She hated staying home. It made her feel alone and she'd do anything not to feel that way. So she avoided being there. Instead she went to parties, or hung with Gia or Fez. She'd even visit me when I was in rehab to avoid going home. Not that I minded, it was nice, since she was one of the only people who came.

This year was me and y/n's junior year, and her parents had decided to reenroll her into East Highland again. To them, it looked like y/n was getting better. But they weren't there more than half the time, so how could they know? They only could make inferences and decisions based off what y/n and my mom told them through the phone.

I knew y/n wasn't "better" but since this summer, she's been the best I've seen her since the incident. Especially since she'd been skipping out the therapy sessions her parents had been paying for. She met new people over the summer, Tristian, Azilia, and Major. Now, those seemed like the only people she hung out with, and I couldn't tell if that was a good thing or a bad thing.

But who was I to judge? My best friends' names were OC and Molly.

• • •

speakeasy: this is purposely short. It's the prologue of everything, the official chapters will be longer.