Imagine- Not Coming

I finish getting ready for my date, anxiously biting my nails as I stare into the mirror, contemplating my entire outfit, before heading out of my bedroom.

I glance at my mother who's passed out on her bed, an empty bottle in her hand, the TV still on. With a sigh I quickly move the bottle and pull the blankets up around her, kissing her forehead. "I'll be back soon." I mumble as I close her door. Though she probably won't even know I'm gone.

I slip outside into the night, and stand outside of the trailer, waiting for my date to come pick me up. A few minutes pass and I cross my arms over my chest, feeling a little cold as a breeze blows.

If I go back inside, my date will knock, which will wake my mother and I didn't want her to know I'm going out with this person, so I stand my ground and stare down the road at the entrance of the trailer park.

"Waiting for someone?" A familiar voice calls out. I turn my head to see Eddie Munson step out of his trailer, a cigarette half hangs out of his mouth.

I lick my dry lips and nod as I begin to wonder if my date will even turn up. Maybe he got lost?

I glance back at Eddie, who is sitting on the steps of his trailer, then I begin to walk toward the bench near the entrance of the park.

"Hey, where are you going? Isn't it a little dark for you to be wandering about on your own?" Eddie loudly says, following me.

"I'm not on my own," I reply, "well not for long, he'll turn up soon." I finish, mumbling the last part.

Eddie looks at me questionably, and shrugs. I frown and take one last look at the road before slumping on the bench, my teeth now begin to chatter.

"Alright sweetheart, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this guy isn't coming, and if you don't go put a jacket on you're gonna catch a cold." Eddie says with a sympathetic look.

I frown at Eddie and shake my head, giving him silence as I continue to wait for my date. Is Eddie right? Have I been stood up?

Eddie sighs and puts his cigarette in his mouth before shrugging off his leather jacket, he passes it to me and I stare at it for a few moments before taking it and putting it on. His warmth and scent envelopes me and I feel oddly comforted.

"Thanks." I mumble as he comes and sits next to me, with one leg either side of the bench so he's facing me.

Eddie takes a drag then stubs the cigarette out on the floor, I watch as the orange flickers out, feeling a sense of defeat.

"He's not coming, is he?" I murmur into the night, tears prick my eyes and I blink them away.

Eddie runs a hand through his hair and sighs. "I don't think so sweetheart."

I nod and get up, shrugging off his jacket and passing it back to him. "Thank you for keeping me company." I mumble, voice cracking as I walk away.

Eddie's hand grabs my arm and I turn to see his concerned expression, "This asshole didn't deserve even a second of your time, I'm glad he didn't turn up."

My eyebrows knit together and I find myself staring into his eyes. "I don't suppose you want to hang out?" He asks narrowing his eyes nervously, and I nod, a small smile tilts my lips.

"By the way, you look really pretty tonight." Eddie adds. I look up and give him a grin, one eyebrow raised as we walk to his trailer.

"Eddie Munson, did you just compliment me?" I tease, nudging him with my elbow.

He puts his hands up, "Hey, I'm just trying to be nice."

I laugh as he quickly runs ahead and holds the door open for me, bowing as I walk past him.

"Watch out Munson or I might think this is a date." I grin, looking around the messy living room.

Eddie closes the door behind him and tilts his head, "Would that be so bad?"

I bite my lip and pretend to contemplate the idea, "Hmmm," I begin, "No, I don't think that's a bad idea at all."

Eddie's face lights up and I feel relieved that my date didn't turn up, I have a feeling this is going to be so much better.