33

Chapter 33: Secrets Don't Make Friends

  While the cats are away, the mice will play.

The sun had set, the dark blackout curtains that hung over tall windows were barely able to hide the luminous shine of the crescent moon that rested in a sea of midnight blue, caressed by flimsy alabaster clouds. "Your vampire has good taste," Marie Lavaeu murmured appreciatively, waking her granddaughter from her slumber with a nudge to her shoulder.

Nala yawned, peeling herself from the expensive fabric of Damon's duvet. Warm eyes blinked slowly, sleep still thick on her lids as she allowed her lips to curl into a soft smile. "Tell me about it." She grabbed a shirt from beside her, pulling it over her shoulders while slipping from the comfort of the cozy sheets. "What are you doing here? I thought you were bound to the confines of my attic."

"Where you go, I go." Marie answered vaguely, a budding smirk growing over pristine features as her fresh manicure trailed over a small golden statue that rested on a wooden shelf. It was probably stolen from some royal family along the years, Damon's kelpto tendencies never seizing to surprise the young girl. Marie Laveau held its weight in her palms, examining it curiously before returning it to its place with an impressed nod. "We have business to attend to."

"More training?"

Her grandmother hummed in agreement, her long braids twisted into a tight bun high atop her head, covered in the silky wrapping of her white scarf—golden charms dangled from her hair. Miniature etchings of skulls and sigils kissing at the smooth skin of her forehead. The blinding white of her handmade dress seen tight against the swell of her chest, flowing gracefully over her legs; the fabric so long it covered the bare skin of her feet. Beautifully crafted beads adorned her wrists, clicking gently with each move of her arms. "Danger is near, child. We have not a second to waste—dress quickly so we can begin."

"This town is already riddled full of vampires, werewolves and witches." Nala griped, sauntering over towards the wardrobe to collect items that she'd left behind from previous visits. Damon insisted she have her own drawer; squishing his clothes tightly together inside his closet to make room for her own. She fixed to grab a pair of comfortable shorts, brown eyes rolling in frustration as her grandmother clicked her tongue in disagreement, pushing her aside so she could find something more suitable. "How much danger could I possibly be in?"

"The elders aren't pleased with your involvement with vampire business—and if that's not enough you've been giving your blonde friend spells to enchant her boyfriend." Marie tossed her a white shirt; one that didn't belong to her but it didn't matter.

Her arms crossed over her chest, long curly strands falling down her back. "So? Caroline and Tyler have been having problems ever since he was turned into a hybrid. I'd thought it could help to spice things up for them a bit."