31

Chapter 31: A Deal With the Devil

The sun burned brightly from up above, it's unforgiving heat being felt from galaxies away as Damon and Nala cautiously stepped through the woods for Damon's secret meeting. He'd been acting so suspicious since he'd picked her up from her house not even a whole hour ago; with his sideways glances and distracting commentary—she'd assumed he was planning something kinky when he'd mentioned their seclusion but that all faded when he'd told her to tie her shoes and cover her ankles to avoid ticks.

      "Just tell me where we're going."

"Telling you defeats the purpose of it being a secret." Damon outstretched a hand, steadying her weight as he easily guided her through the bumpy mounds of earth that clearly hadn't been tended to in years. Thick layers of matted leaves laid in heaps everywhere the eye could see, large trees shedding their bare branches carelessly to the ground to make room for more. "Just be patient, we're almost there."

      Nala followed with a grumble, barely biting her tongue long enough to keep from asking every passing second if they were there yet like some petulant child.

      The answers to all of her questions presented itself moments later with a tall, handsome man with perfectly styled chestnut hair standing before them. His features were pristine—even with his lips settled into a straight line; he was perfectly angular and clean shaven in his expensive dark suit that hugged his toned body as if it had been tailored specifically for him. He walked with elegance, one expensive shoe in front of the other as his strong jaw was clenched tight as he regarded the duo with careful brown eyes. "I believe you left something in my pocket," His rich cadence called through the clearing, his sights focused solely on Damon before sliding down the length of Nala's form. Two fingers held the folded piece of paper out, waving it from side to side sharply before sucking in a breath. "Nowhere in your note did you include that you'd be bringing a guest."

"Surprise." Damon sardonically retorted but his intimidation wasn't easily hidden; the way his hands raised to pull the collar of his shirt from the lining of his neck.

      "You weren't the only one left out of the loop," Nala straightened her posture, leaving behind the slouched shoulders and huffed breaths; she even refrained from swatting her hands out beside her to shoo away little buzzing insects that flew too close to her ears—but she didn't. She'd gotten the feeling from the handsome man's presence that he was strong, powerful; probably much older than Damon judging by his lack of recklessness—he was put together, polite; putting the manners he'd learned a hundred plus years ago to use.

      "I see," The man pursed his lips, his hands tucked neatly in the pockets of his dress pants. "Allow me to introduce myself." He took a step forward, his features now fully distinguishable. "I am Elijah and I believe we're here today to discuss our plan to kill my brother, Niklaus."

       Nala's eyes widened a fraction. She'd remembered him—even seen him once before, back at the Salvatore boarding house and he'd looked nothing like this man—Elijah.  Although, the threatening aura that surrounded their persons were more than similar. "You're conspiring against your brother?" Her head snapped over to Damon, voice lowering to an aggressive whisper; not that it mattered, Elijah was one of the original vampires which meant he could very clearly hear her every word. "Why the hell didn't you tell me we were going to be conspiring against Klaus with his brother?"