Writing Tip #8

The writing routine. Dun, dun dun! We've all heard about it. Some authors have really elaborate pre-writing rituals so much so that I wonder how much time is wasted on enacting every step every day.

Now, if you have a full-time job like many of us a long-drawn out pre-writing ritual might not be possible. Most of us are too exhausted by the time we get home to work on writing.

And of course there's all the unexpected interruptions, errands, tasks, etc. that need to be caught up on the weekends. I've read tons of advice telling writers to make a writing schedule but the motivation simply might not be there and that's okay.

The important thing is not to get discouraged. All of us have busy, active lives and its important to remember not to beat yourself up if you don't manage time every day to write. Even if its 5 minutes or jotting down a single sentence that's still progress toward your long term goal. Every word written is a victory, remember that.

In other words, progress is progress. You do you. There is no wrong way to go about it. You don't have to do it like everybody else. And who knows? By taking it slow you might craft something far more amazing than you might have if you had large amounts of free-time.