CHAPTER 14 ' Aether

Start from the beginning

⠀⠀⠀"Scaramouche." Aether hissed.

⠀⠀⠀"Let's not get too ahead of ourselves now. I know you want to jump at my neck... squeeze the life out of me... But." The Balladeer laughed. "I'm not here to cause any harm to you. No, no, no. I'm here for them. With them, even."

⠀⠀⠀"Y/N, what is he talking about?" The traveler looked back at me.

⠀⠀⠀"I wanted to explain. During the days I was gone... I spent them by Scaramouche's side. He didn't hurt me once. He's not as bad."

⠀⠀⠀"Not as bad? Are you out of your mind?" He snapped back.

⠀⠀⠀"Do not speak to them that way." Scaramouche fumed.

⠀⠀⠀"Y/N. What the hell has gotten into you. Do you not remember everything he's done." Aether shook me by my shoulders.

⠀⠀⠀"Get your filthy hands off their damn shoulders." Scaramouche whispered to Aether who let go of me after.

⠀⠀⠀"I do. I remember it all. But I wanted to give him a second chance. I wanted to understand him, the way he thinks, and so on. Scaramouche would make such a great travel companion. He's so intelligent and capable and he always gets what he wants in the end which could help us a whole lot."

⠀⠀⠀"He drugged you, didn't he?"

⠀⠀⠀"Can you stop with that. I've heard that plenty of times today. I willingly chose to sit by his side."

⠀⠀⠀"How could you betray us like this Y/N..." Aether muttered.

⠀⠀⠀"I didn't betray anyone. You let Tartaglia follow us around. Can't we bring Scaramouche along too?"

⠀⠀⠀"Of course not. Tartaglia didn't kill any of our friends. He on the other hand did."

⠀⠀⠀I fell back silent. Teppei...

⠀⠀⠀"That fool? Teppei?" Scaramouche asked.

⠀⠀⠀"Scaramouche, I'm trying to help you here."

⠀⠀⠀"Cut it Y/N. It's obvious your friend here doesn't wish to be on better terms with me. Which is kind of dumb. But totally fine by me. I knew this was bound to happen anyway."

⠀⠀⠀"You're a piece of shit. I took you on once and defeated you. I can do it again." Ather grunted, facing Scaramouche.

⠀⠀⠀"Hah. Bring it on."

⠀⠀⠀The travelers grip tightened around his sword.

⠀⠀⠀"Can we not do this again?"I tried to calm them down but it was hopeless.
⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀They both shared a death glance before Aether pounced towards Scaramouche, throwing his sword forward. Scaramouche dodged it thankfully, quickly stepping to the side at the exact right moment. This made Aether lose his balance which Scaramouche used to his advantage.
⠀⠀⠀After summoning a polearm, he swiftly ran it across the ground, making aether fall flat.

⠀⠀⠀He remained there for a while... Waiting for Scaramouche to get closer to him and when he did.... Aether grabbed him by the collar, throwing him as hard as he could into the ground. I rushed towards him, checking if he's okay but after grunting once he got back up on his feet. He was vulnerable at that point, he had to regain his stability... this once again was an opportunity for Aether.

⠀⠀⠀Which he immediately took.

⠀⠀⠀Aether, rushed forward, sword still in his hand, he jumped up into the air looking ready to slice Scaramouche into half.

⠀⠀⠀My heart froze.

⠀⠀⠀I summoned by weapon as well, jumping in front of Scaramouche, blocking the travelers attack.

⠀⠀⠀"Y/N. WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?!"
⠀⠀⠀I could hear Scaramouche yell from behind me.

⠀⠀⠀Aether's sword clashed into my weapon. He was pushing down as hard as he could but I had to keep my stance on the ground. He was now fueled by fury, his sword now covered by electro energy, stronger than before.

⠀⠀⠀Aether yelled my name as loud as he could before breaking my weapon into two, the shock making me go flying backwards.
My landing was rough, I hit my head on one of the pillers, falling on my side to the ground.

⠀⠀⠀The world quickly became a blur to me.

⠀⠀⠀"You. You... you dickhead." I heard Scaramouche say. I also heard him laugh... it seemed desperate compared to the other times I've heard him. "You're gonna pay for this."

⠀⠀⠀His every word dripping with venom.

... That was the last
thing I heard.

    My old friend...

⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀