CHAPTER 14 ' Aether

⠀⠀⠀"You can't leave too." He whispered, covering his face with the hat on his head.

⠀⠀⠀"I'm not leaving." I got closer to him, moving the hat away. "I'll stay. I won't leave you. I won't."

⠀⠀⠀Scaramouche grabbed me by my wrist. "You're not going there without me." His voice trembled.

⠀⠀⠀"Okay. I won't. But please let's go."

⠀⠀⠀"Mmh." He followed.

⠀⠀⠀Lowering ourselves back into the arena where we fought gave me goosebumps. The whole scene flashed before my eyes... I could remember everything... so clearly... every second, every sensation, every wound. I could remember the screaming, the chaos, the trembling grounds.

⠀⠀⠀Then I remembered who I was standing next to.

⠀⠀⠀I caught him peeking over, once, twice, a few times. I had to admit... I was scared to look back. He didn't do anything to hurt me since the battle yet suddenly even being close to him sent shivers down my spine.

⠀⠀⠀"Y/N." His voice made me flinch.
"The traveller. He should be up ahead."

⠀⠀⠀I nodded.

⠀⠀⠀"You're paler than the moon. What happened to you?" He asked.

⠀⠀⠀"Oh. I'm... I just remembered something."

⠀⠀⠀His vision softened as realisation set in.

⠀⠀⠀"I'm not going to lay a finger on you."

⠀⠀⠀"Ah." I sighed. "It's okay."

⠀⠀⠀I moved forward, finally setting foot in the actual arena. My eyes wondered around the whole place, searching for someone familiar.
⠀⠀⠀Everything around was destroyed. The remains of Scaramouches' mech suit scattered around the broken tiles. Each step we took echoed through the whole arena.

⠀⠀⠀Scaramouche went to check the mechanical parts, kicking the broken glass and the screws on the ground

⠀⠀⠀I continued looking around.

⠀⠀⠀"Aether!" I yelled out his name.

⠀⠀⠀My voice rang throught the whole field.

⠀⠀⠀"Y/N!" A familiar voice called out in response.

⠀⠀⠀Aether... Could it be. Was he really here? I ran around the whole place, tripping over parts and pieces, looking for my old companion.

⠀⠀⠀Frantically, I moved my head from left to right, constantly shouting for him.

⠀⠀⠀I had to stop, to catch my breath. I was exhausted.

⠀⠀⠀A pair of hands wrapper around my body, picking me up from the ground, spinning me around then placing me back down. That comforting laugh.

⠀⠀⠀"Y/N! You're fine. I was so worried. You just dissappeared like that for a week. I thought the Balladeer killed you. I'm sorry for leaving you like that. I... I should've known better. I'm so glad you're okay, though. And you're whole, no scratches, no anything. "

⠀⠀⠀"I was pretty bad after the battle but I healed fast. I'm glad you're fine as well. And... as for Scaramouche. I have some news for you."

⠀⠀⠀"What happened? Is he back?" Aether leaned back. "Did he track you down?"

⠀⠀⠀"Well, not really but..."

⠀⠀⠀"If it isn't the first sage of Buer..."

⠀⠀⠀Shit. Why did he have to be here now. Couldn't he wait for me to finish.