CHAPTER 12 ' Pebbles & Games

⠀⠀⠀Saying "I like you." to him rolled so easily off my tongue. I could say it another million times. Does he believe me? Does he think I'm fucking with him?

⠀⠀⠀I hope not.

⠀⠀⠀Scaramouche seemed lost in space. He was looking down at the water, barely blinking, breathing slowly and not moving almost at all.

⠀⠀⠀"Scara, are you okay?"

⠀⠀⠀Right, he wouldn't reply to that anyway.

⠀⠀⠀"Scaramouche, are you okay?"

⠀⠀⠀He looked back at me and nodded.

⠀⠀⠀"I'm good. I'm good right now." He replied.

⠀⠀⠀"Scaramouche. I need to tell you something."

⠀⠀⠀"What is it, Y/N?"

⠀⠀⠀"I want to go back to Sumeru City... to find the traveler."

⠀⠀⠀After hearing those words Scaramouche froze. His pupils started shrinking and his left eye began twitching.

⠀⠀⠀"You can't." He grunted.

⠀⠀⠀"What? Why?"

⠀⠀⠀"They'll take you away. Away from me." He grabbed my hand in his.

⠀⠀⠀"No one is going to take me away, Scaramouche... You don't have to worry. I don't think anyone has that big of a target on me. In case of anything I'll keep more than one eye out for the Fatui. If you want you can come along. I'll explain to everyone that you don't have any ill intent for now and that we just want to find the traveller. The moment you feel something is wrong you can pick me up and run away, okay? Does that sound good?"

⠀⠀⠀Scaramouche didn't answer. He just stared blankly at me.

⠀⠀⠀"Okay." Was all he said after a second or two.

⠀⠀⠀"Okay. Thank you."

⠀⠀⠀"There's a storm outside. We can go after it ends." He whispered.

⠀⠀⠀"We could take the teleporters."

⠀⠀⠀"I want to stay here more."

⠀⠀⠀"Okay... Sure... We can stay more then. But after the storm stops we're leaving for Sumeru City."

⠀⠀⠀I wanted to see Aether again. I missed him. I still wonder if he misses me too. We fought together for so long... against so many monsters... people... He surely couldn't forget about me that easily... Surely.

⠀⠀⠀"Let's do something. Do we have any games we could play here?" I asked Scaramouche. I sat around doing absolutely nothing for so long... my skin was itching from how bored I was.

⠀⠀⠀"Games? I don't take part in such childish activities."

⠀⠀⠀"Scaramouche come on, it can be fun!"

⠀⠀⠀I got up and ran all around the cave, trying to find something fun to do.

⠀⠀⠀"We could maybe throw pebbles in a basket or something of the sorts."

⠀⠀⠀"Huh? How could that be entertaining?" Scaramouche replied, almost disgusted by my idea.

⠀⠀⠀"The entertaining part will probably be the tension to see who will win!" I said happily, making my way back to the pond with a basket filled with pebbles.
⠀⠀⠀"We each get a number of pebbles. If you throw one of the pebbles in the basket you score a point. After we both finish throwing all our pebbles in the basket, the one who scored the most points wins! Easy to understand, right?"