chapter nine, beautiful scars

Start from the beginning

YOU ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

YOU DO NOT IMPRESS ME LIKE YOUR SISTER DOES. SHE WAS BORN LUCKY AND YOU WERE LUCKY TO BE BORN. IF YOU MUST PROVE YOURSELF THEN WORK YOURSELF TO THE BONE UNTIL THEY'RE CRUSHED. PROVE TO ME YOU CAN FIND THE AVATAR AND REGAIN YOUR HONOUR. SEARCH FOR HIM UNTIL YOUR MUSCLES ARE SORE AND YOUR EYES ACHE FROM GLARING AT THE BURNING SUN AT EVERY BRINK OF DAWN.

DO IT IF YOU MUST. BECAUSE YOUR LIFE IS NOTHING AND YOU ARE NOT—

Grabbing the nearest thing he could find, Zuko threw the object at the mirror and it shattered into dozens of pieces, glittering silver on the table as he was left staring into abyssal darkness before him again.

"Prince Zuko?"

A voice as soothing as jasmine tea was heard. It was awfully familiar. Despite it, he turned around to look and having appeared in the doorway was San, worry etched onto her features.

"What are you doing here?" He questioned rougher than he intended, having expected her to be with his sister instead.

"Checking up on you. I heard a loud crashing sound." She said. Zuko saw a hint of sorriness in her eyes as she took in the bandages wrapping up most of his left side from his face to his arm. Otherwise, she appeared relief that none of the mirror shards had scratched him anywhere. "General Iroh said he found the perfect boat to rent and wanted me to inform you."

"I see." He looked away. The boat was preparation for him to leave the Fire Nation indefinitely. "Shouldn't you be somewhere else right now? Azula must be looking for you."

Briefly, an indescribable gleam shone in her eyes and she found sudden interest in her sandals. "I'm not going back there." He turned to her with wide eyes and she made eye contact, firm with her following words. "I can help you."

"What?"

"I can help you find the Avatar." She paused. "I mean, the Avatar hasn't been seen for a hundred years so you need all the help you can get, right? I can be of some use."

Zuko stared. If he didn't know any better, he'd say she was seeing his banishment as an opportunity to join him and run away from Azula. Not that he could blame her. The way his sister had been treating her handmaiden... he'd have liked to get away too as soon as possible if he were in her position.

"Fine. You can come. Only because I do need all the help I can get to find the man who hasn't been seen in over a hundred years." He gave in, walking out. "What are you waiting for? Come on."

San had lingered in the doorway, staring at the broken mirror pieces with her brows furrowed, but as soon as he called her, she quickly made it to his side.

"Do you know who's going to be part of my crew apart from Uncle and you?"

"I heard it's Lieutenant Jee, 12 firebending soldiers, 12 non-bending soldiers, the helmsman, and a cook."

'I suppose that's not bad, but it's hardly an army.' He knew it was his father who picked the crew for him. In that case, they must be exceptionally qualified for their jobs. But as he walked up to the foredeck to meet his crew, only half of them were present. "Where's the rest?"

"I'm not sure." San chuckled weakly.

"Where's Uncle?"