12 • Clues

The punch was unexpected

The punch was unexpected. Cole's fist slammed into Lance's face and his friend fell to the ground with a grunt.

"How could you?" Cole hissed.

Mina's eyes darted between the two men. She'd walked in on them, arguing after she'd called the hospital to check on her father.

Lance rubbed his jaw. He squinted up at Cole. "We were drunk! It only happened once."

"When?" Cole gritted.

"The night you and your family went to Boston for that political party. I saw her working at a restaurant as a server. A woman was yelling at her for serving her a cold steak. I felt bad for her."

"So, to make her feel better, you slept with her?"

Lance looked down and shook his head. "It wasn't like that."

"No, it's never like that with you, is it?" Cole spat.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Lance pushed himself up from the ground.

"You know what it means."

Mina wished someone would explain since she didn't know what it meant.

"No, I really don't," Lance argued.

Cole's hands tightened into fists. "Every person I get close to makes a mistake. Is it me? Or is it them?"

Lance's eyes darted to Mina.

Cole gave a bitter laugh. "Am I an idiot to you? Do you think I didn't know you tried to steal every single one of my girlfriends? Even Vivi. Did you honestly believe I wouldn't know you hit on my assistant, Geoffrey? You're not even attracted to men, Lance!"

"Or maybe he is?" Mina muttered.

Cole's eyes pierced hers, demanding she explain herself. She cleared her throat. "Maybe Lance likes men, and that's why he goes after the people close to you? No, not men. Just one man. You."

Lance's head fell back in laughter. "I am not attracted to men. There's nothing wrong with that, but I'm not. If it seems like I'm too close to your loved ones, maybe I am. It's only to keep you safe, Cole. We're best friends. Practically brothers. I would never purposely hurt you."

Cole shook his head in disgust.

"How do you know you were the father of Lisa's baby?" Mina asked, wanting to change the subject.

"She told me," he answered, straightening the tie he wore. "It was a onetime thing. We both knew it was a mistake."

"This is why you never mentioned the baby to me, isn't it?" Cole asked. "Because it was yours."

Lance couldn't meet his eyes.

Mina clapped her hands together, breaking the tension in the room. "Fine. Whatever. If Lance is saying he's the father and Mina never blackmailed him, we're back at square one."