7 • Cole Makes a Choice

Cole tapped his ballpoint pen against his desk as his thoughts drifted to Mina

Cole tapped his ballpoint pen against his desk as his thoughts drifted to Mina. Did she really think someone killed Lisa? Was her father really paid to cause that accident?

Three consecutive raps on the door proceeded Lance entering. He wore a dark suit and had a smarmy grin on his face. "Well, you look like you're deep in thought," he noted. "I've been calling you all morning and you haven't answered once."

"I've been busy," Cole muttered.

"Don't you want to ask about Vivi?" Lance asked. "You had me drag her from your penthouse. Aren't you the least bit concerned about her?"

Cole shrugged. "Not particularly. Vivi's been a friend, but we've never been close. Her thinking we're in some sort of arranged relationship that will lead to marriage is absurd. I'm considering the restraining order."

Lance placed a fist to his mouth before exhaling deeply. He lowered his hand and smiled. "That won't be necessary. After last night's debacle, her parents are having her vacation in Aruba. Aruba is code for a mental facility. She'll be back in a month, I'm sure."

Cole made a scoffing sound. "They should send my mother to Aruba along with her."

"Your parents are friends with Vivi's parents. You know how old millionaires think. Let's marry our wealthy kids and have even richer grandchildren. Besides, it's not as if you've ever been serious about dating anyone. Does it really matter who your bride is as long as your parents are happy?"

"That's easy for you to say," Cole argued.

Lance nodded tightly, his gaze drifting to a steel clock Cole had displayed on the wall. "Right."

Cole cursed under his breath. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean it that way."

Lance's smile was back and he waved his hand through the air as if he were wiping away the words Cole just spoke. "My parents died years ago, Cole. If it weren't for yours taking me in, who knows what would've happened to me?"

"Still, I'm sorry about speaking out of my ass. All I want is a little room to breathe regarding my personal life. I don't want to marry someone just because it looks good on paper to my parents. I want it to be my decision."

"That's understandable," Lance nodded. "Hell, if you ever get desperate enough, I'll marry you."

Cole chuckled. "Thank,s but we're both straight, so that would make things awkward."

Lance tapped a finger against his chin. "I don't know. I could totally see you as a bottom."

There was a knock at the door, and Cole called out for the person to enter. It was his assistant, Geoffrey.

"Mr. Bueller," Geoffrey said, acknowledging Lance. Turning to Cole, he said, "Mr. Hollister, I have the information you asked for." He placed a manilla envelope on Cole's desk.

The assistant scurried out of the office, keeping his eyes on the floor.

"He reminds me of a scared mouse," Lance observed, pointing to the door Geoffrey exited.

"Leave my assistant alone. He's shy but thorough. I don't need you scaring him off, so he quits on me."

"What information did he gather for you?" Lance asked, stepping forward.

"Nothing important. I asked him to get a background check done on Lisa's uncle, Hector Cruz."

"The one who was driving the oil truck?" Lance reached over and began reviewing the documents. He gave a low whistle. "He has a tidy sum in his bank account, considering he was a truck driver."

Cole gave a single nod. "Someone sent that money to him before the accident."

"You think they paid him to kill off Lisa? You realize there were other victims that day," Lance reminded him.

"I do. I'm not sure if I should get involved," Cole admitted. He leaned forward on his desk, steepling his fingers together. "It's been four years."

Lance put down a bank statement. "I know how you felt about Lisa, but you're right. It's been four years. I say you let it go."

"What if someone out there really planned her death?"

"Getting involved could be dangerous, Cole. I don't want to see you hurt more than you've already been because of Lisa's death. Do you have any suspects?"

Cole leaned back in his chair. "No, not really. My parents have the money to drop a hundred thousand and not blink an eye but they would never have arranged murder. It's beneath them. Besides, they always considered my relationship with Lisa as a phase."

"I can't think of anyone else who would care enough about your relationship with Lisa to have her killed," Lance admitted. "Vivi?"

Cole sighed. "Vivi was out of the country. I doubt she arranged a hit on Lisa."

Lance gave him a skeptical look. "You never know, my friend. People do the unexpected when emotions are involved."

"Mina asked me to help her find out what really happened."

"So, you're doing this for Lisa's cousin?"

Cole shook his head. "No, I'm doing it for me. I need to know what happened. I want to know why she broke up with me."

"She broke up with you?" Lance asked, his head jerking back in surprise. "Why?"

It wasn't something Cole had ever shared with anyone. "She sent me a text wanting to end our relationship right before the truck hit the bus. I don't know why. She was pregnant with my baby. Why would she want to break up?"

Lance scratched the back of his neck, turning his head away. "You still haven't talked to your parents about that?"

"About what? Her pregnancy?"

Lance nodded.

"No, I'll probably go today. I want to talk to Mina as well. I might as well include her in what I find."

Lance's mouth fell ajar. "So, you're really going to look into what happened that day?"

Cole gave his friend a sad smile. "I know it doesn't seem like it, but that day haunts me. It would be nice to have some sort of resolution."

Lance nodded. "Whatever you need, Cole. I'll always have your back. Always."

"