Chapter Twenty - "You act as if apologizing is a crime."

Start from the beginning

When the ball rang, I sang hallelujah in my head and sprang to my feet. I couldn’t wait to get to lunch and get some food in my system. I’m hungry as hell. Throwing my notebook in my bag, I darted out the door only to be stopped by Carly on my way out.

She’s never going to let this go.

“What is it Carly?” I sighed, turning to look at her.

“You never answered my question back in math class.” She stated a matter-of-factly.

“Yeah, I did Carly.” I fought the urge to roll my eyes again. Why couldn’t she just drop it?

“No, you didn’t.” She rasped, flicking her hair behind her shoulder. “I asked you if you knew…” She stopped, looking to make sure no one was around us before whispering in my ear lowly. “Danger.”

“And I told you that I don’t know what you’re talking about.” I responded as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

“You know exactly what I’m talking about Kelsey. You were there at the party when he talked to you.”

“That’s all he did Carly. He talked to me and that was it.” I shrugged. “I don’t know why you’re bringing that up now. That was so long ago.”

“I’m bringing it up because I didn’t know you guys actually talked aside from the party.” She spoke each word slowly as if she were trying to drill them in my brain.

“We don’t.” I exclaimed lowly.

“Rumors have it that you do.”

“And you believe them?” I arched a brow.

“Well, I wouldn’t have if I didn’t know he knew you.” She muttered, eyeing me suspiciously.

“He doesn’t…” I furrowed my eyebrows together. “Listen Carly, I don’t know where you’re headed with this and to be honest, I don’t care. I’m hungry.” I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. “I don’t know Danger at all. All the kid did was say three words to me and that’s it so whatever these stupid rumors are, they’re nothing but bullshit.”

She stared me down, trying to decide whether she should believe my rather believable plea. I have to admit, I’m a great actress.

Finally, she sighed while grabbing my arm and pulling me aside. “Listen, whether the rumors are true or not, I don’t want you getting involved with him.”

“Okay, mom.” I laughed lightly, trying to ease the mood.

That didn’t work well.

She shook her head. “No, I’m serious Kels. It’s bad enough that he goes to this school now, I don’t need him clawing himself into you. He’s nothing but bad news. Danger is known around town and even in places that aren’t even from around here. Everyone knows him and he knows everyone. He’s done things you couldn’t even imagine.” She looked me in the eyes now, holding a steady lock on them. “They don’t call him Danger for nothing.”

I’d be lying if I said a trail of goosebumps rose on my skin but I pushed past it and gave her an exasperated look. “Okay Carly. I get it. Can I go eat now?” I thumbed down the hallway.

She sighed before nodding her head. “Yeah, whatever. I’ll see you later.”

“See ya.” I waved before turning and walking down the hallway.

Thank God that was over with.

I mean, I love Carly to death and I know she has good intentions but I hate how she can’t let things go. If the answer is no, it’s no. Plain and simple.