SEVENTEEN

SEVENTEEN

Jameson and I were currently having a stare-off.

I'd blown up Dylan's air mattress that he'd gotten before he could afford an actual bed and squeezed it on my bedroom floor. I insisted that I sleep on it and Jameson took my bed because he was my guest and he had been sleeping in his car, but ever the gentleman, he disagreed.

"I don't think you understand that you are the princess here," he said, shaking his head with a laugh.

I scrunched up my nose. "And I don't think you understand that you are my special guest," I argued, plopping down on the air mattress. "I insist."

"Nope. Get your ass on the bed," he said, sitting next to me. "I'm not taking no for an answer."

"Well, neither am I," I said, challenging him with my eyes. A part of me wanted to just throw caution to the wind and have both of us sleep in my bed, but I wanted to take this whole situation nice and slow.

"Then I guess we're both sleeping on the air mattress."

I bit my lip, standing up. He watched me as I grabbed my blanket and my pillow, stuffing them under my arms like a child. "I'm sleeping on the couch," I said, making him scramble up and grab my shoulders.

"No," he said. "I'll sleep in your bed, fine. But you have to stay here with me, on the air mattress."

I smiled in satisfaction. I had won.

"Okay," I said, returning my linens to the blow up bed, arranging them neatly. "Do you need anything to sleep in? My ex was about your size, I might have one of his T-shirts."

Jameson grimaced. "No, thank you."

I told him that I was going to take a quick shower and I would be back, but to make himself at home. It was the first moment I had to be alone with my thoughts, so when the water was pouring down my chest, I tried to piece everything together.

So I was a werewolf's mate. Jameson said it meant nothing and I didn't have to do anything with that information, but all I could think was that he was all alone now. No family, no friends he could trust. I was all he had, his fucking soulmate.

I closed my eyes, letting the steam calm me down.

Poor Jameson. I didn't know what I'd do if I lost either of my siblings, let alone the only one I had. He must have gone through hell after he left. He still didn't answer me as to why he didn't call once, but I was starting to understand.

Maybe the whole soulmate thing was why it hurt so bad. I know he experienced everything differently, being the wolf and all. But it hurt me more than I thought it would, too.

I sighed, staring at the shower wall in thought. The only thing I knew was that I didn't want to let him go again, soulmate or not.

When I finished, I changed into a clean pair of briefs and towel dried my hair the best I could, going back into my room. I gripped the towel so as not to drop it at the sight before me.

Jameson lounged on my bed in nothing but his own boxers, holding one of my books in his hands. He looked up when I walked in, smirking at the way my lips parted. I had to look away. I busied myself by finding a big T-shirt and throwing it over my body, not bothering with pants. We couldn't possibly both be naked in such a small room.

"Have I mentioned that you look incredible?"

I whipped around. He had abandoned the book on the bed and was just admiring my legs, his lips curling up in a smile. "Ah, no," I stammered. "You haven't. Thank you."