FIVE

FIVE

The week went somewhat normally.

Between jumping into the old habit of school schedules, getting used to not having as much cash from not working, and trying to avoid Jameson as much as possible, I was tired. School physically drained me. I missed summer.

"What are you doing after school?" Jameson asked from beside me. Mrs. Ricketts allowed us to 'chat quietly in our seats' after we finished our lesson. I'd rather she kept teaching.

"I have to work," I said, keeping my head facing forward.

"Oh," he muttered, slumping in his chair.

And then I felt guilty. Maybe Dylan was right, after all. I could just be a nice person and spend some time with him, see how it goes. I wondered how many other poor souls that the daunting Jameson was trying to befriend, or if it was just me. I mentally groaned.

"And there's a back to school party . . ." I sighed. "At the boat landing. Do you want to go?"

Jameson tried keeping it subtle, but he sat up in his seat and turned his body almost completely towards me. "Really? Yeah, sure," he said, then cleared his throat. "You can call me when you get off and pick me up?"

Oh. So we had to go together? Well, okay.

After school, I texted Mac and Dylan and warned them that I was bringing Jameson to the party. Mac was elated, very excited that I was branching out and being social for once. Dylan didn't even respond, but that was typical.

We were kind of busy at work. I guess everyone was treating themselves to some mediocre dining after a successful week. I made fifty bucks in tips, which was more than enough to get some good beer and to stick in the jar for Mom. As fast as humanly possible, I went home to change and then called Jameson.

He told me his address and (after a quick stop to see Jack to get some alcohol) I went on my way. He lived a little ways out, on the edge of town, in an old apartment building off the main road. I wasn't sure I'd ever even noticed them before. The shutters were dirty and the sign was missing letters. I parked out front of the building and waited.

After a moment, I spotted Jameson at the front door. I was almost taken aback. He looked kind of . . . nice. He was wearing a black Polo and some ripped jeans. I looked away when he opened the door and slid in.

I inhaled the scent of his cologne, gripping the steering wheel tightly.

"Ready?" I asked.

"Ready," he said, and I could hear the smile in his voice.

We drove in a slightly uncomfortable silence until I turned on the music. I didn't know what to say to him and he wasn't making any effort to say anything either. A few minutes before we got there, he finally opened his mouth.

"Thank you," he said, and I looked over while at a red light, "for inviting me."

He looked almost childlike, looking at me through his eyelashes. I opened my mouth to reply but was interrupted by my phone ringing. Thank God.

"Hello," I greeted.

"Where are you? I need boooooze."

"We're on the way, Mac. I got some beer."

"Perfect. See you soon, love you, bye."

I chuckled to myself. She must have been a few drinks in already. There were so many people at the landing this time that I had to park a million yards away. I shut my car off and reached into the backseat to grab the twelve-pack. That feeling in my chest that came around when I was near Jameson was so strong, I could feel my heart pounding in my chest like a caged animal.