SIXTEEN

SIXTEEN

I was going to kill Mac.

Jameson had only just gotten here. He had a bundle of daisies, varying in color. It made my heart swell in my chest, but as soon as Mac saw them she wouldn't shut her mouth. "Wow, Jameson, that's just so sweet," she swooned. "Cade is such a lucky guy."

His cheeks turned pink at that, which kind of amused me. But I had no room to talk, because mine were probably pink, too. "Marcus buys you flowers sometimes," I said, referring to the few times he did as an apology for pulling some stupid shit that made her cry.

"Sure, but they're never that pretty," she whispered, turning back to the sauce that she was stirring. I rolled my eyes, taking the flowers from Jameson.

"Thank you, they're pretty," I said, going to the kitchen to find something to put them in. I was fairly certain we didn't own a vase, but we did have a tall beer glass that would work perfectly. "I hope you like chicken and rice because it's one of three recipes we know how to make."

Jameson just lingered in the tiny dining area we had made by the door. It reminded me of my house at home. I didn't know what was up with these places not designating a spot for a table and chairs, but when there's a will, there's a way. I put the makeshift vase on the coffee table and asked Mac if she needed help.

When she said no, I nodded towards my room, inviting Jameson to follow me. He stiffly walked with me through the apartment as if the last time he was here, I wasn't only in my underwear.

I closed the door behind us. "Take your coat off. You're making me cold just looking at you," I said, holding my hand out. Jameson followed my order and took it off, placing it in my hand so I could drape it over the office chair.

"Are you alright?" he asked softly.

Plopping down on my bed, I shrugged. "Why wouldn't I be?"

Jameson followed and sat next to me, leaving some courteous space between us. "Well, I can think of a few reasons," he said, watching my reactions to everything he said. "I kind of dropped a bomb on you yesterday."

"I know," I mumbled, taking a big breath. "I have a million questions, you know."

He chuckled. "I know."

I debated on if I should ask them now. If he gave me answers that I didn't like, I wouldn't want to look at him from across the table all night. So I decided to leave the hard hitting questions for after dinner. That seemed safe.

"So you're a . . ."

"Werewolf," he finished for me.

"Huh," was all I said.

"I know it's crazy. You're only the second person I've ever told."

"Who was the first?" I asked curiously.

Jameson looked away, clearly uncomfortable talking about it. "It was when I was a kid," he said, rubbing the back of his neck. "She moved out of Washington and my parents wouldn't let me keep in touch, so . . . I kind of lost her."

"Well, just find her like you found me," I said. "Talk to her with your mind, or something."

He smiled. "You're the only one I can do it with, Petals."

I furrowed my eyebrows and was about to ask how that's even possible when Mac yelled through the door that supper was ready. We stood up and before he could start for the door I grabbed his hand, turning him around. I leaned up on my tip toes and placed a kiss on his cheek.

"Thank you again for the flowers," I said.

Jameson looked down at me, a bashful smile on his face. I said nothing else, just walked out into the hallway with him hot on my trail. Dinner was steaming hot on the table, plates and silverware at each chair. I grabbed us some water and sat down at my usual spot, Jameson taking the spare chair that we pulled up for him.