39| Cranberry Lie

Start from the beginning

Jungkook is quiet, and you can tell he wants to ask you more about your parents but he doesn't. So you continue, awfully comforted by the way he's looking at you right now.

"My biological father left for the States when my mom passed away," you say, just before the air in the room turns raw.

"He only loved my mother. Having me was sort of an accident. So when my mother was gone, he had no reasons to stay. Jihoon took me into custody. He was my mom's former boyfriend."

Jungkook doesn't respond, he only stares at the photo of you and your classmate on the table.

You flounder self-consciously on the couch, not sure if you favor the silence right now. "What about your parents?" You urge. "You never mentioned them."

For the briefest of a second, you're not sure if you imagined it, but utter panic cascades Jungkook's expression before he looks away to narrow his eyes at the photo on the table again.

"Junghyung and I were adopted. Well, technically only I was. His biological parents took him back into custody after...after an incident that I don't think I'm ready to tell you yet. It's a long story but our parents are no longer in the picture. They weren't the most... responsible."

You nod. "I don't want to push this further but I think we went to the same preschool. The one next to the monastery. I remember being partnered up with you for a spelling bee contest and we won." You smile at the memory but Jungkook doesn't look surprised. "Do you remember me?"

As the word "monastery" slips from your lips, you sense a sudden shift in his demeanor, as though the air around him trembles. His pupils widen like startled moons against the dark canvas of his eyes. Like he realized something---something dark.

He mumbles something you cannot hear before he stands to fix a button on his shirt.

"Jungkook?" You call softly, standing with him. "Did...did I say something wrong?"

When he turns towards you, his face is so neutral that you would have never believed he had just laughed a few minutes ago.

Jungkook glances at the door, his eyes a dome of silence. Then he turns to look at you. "I should go. It's late."

Something sinks in your chest and you grab his wrist.  "You're not going anywhere."

Jungkook narrows his eyes at you. "You're holding me hostage?"

"Call it what you want but you can't just leave after we—"

"Red," he warns. "You're my employee. And I'm not a romantic."

You gawk at him. "And you coming over to make sure I was okay wasn't romantic?"

He swallows when you bring your hand to fiddle with the front of his shirt. You're not sure where the confidence came from, but you slide your hand up to his chest. 

"Your heart is beating very fast," you say. "Tell me you don't feel what I feel."

"Please," he mumbles, and you almost swallow at the vulnerability in his voice.

He's so freaking babygirl for you.

Jungkook inches closer so you're pressed against him, your core grinding against his. Something close to a moan leaves his lips and you melt.

"Red," he rasps again, bringing his arm around your waist. "Quit it before I do something to you."

You take that as an invitation to grind against him harder, realizing that the cranberry juice you had must be mixed with some alcohol because boy you feel bold as hell tonight.