Part 37

Steve sighed, waiting around 5 minutes before Max came out of El's room, dressed in comfy sleeping clothes. El was in the living room, seperating her candy in a perfect half. Steve couldn't lie, he was seriouslyimpressed at how much candy she got. He just wondered how Hop would react to all the sweets. El haddressed quickly as well. Steve was still in his clothes but he figured he could change later. Max had quickly dropped off her dirty clothes outside of the bathroom so whenever Billy got out he could place them in the hamper. She sighed quietly before walking to her bag of candy and spilling it on the floor beside El's. The two girls already starting up some converstaion. "I'll go ask Hargrove for my clothes back, okay?" Hopper announced before he disappeared into a small hallway that led to the bathroom. Steve nodded before he tiredly walked to the two girls. He sat criss-cross, immitating their little posture.

"Thank you" max brought up, her voice quite and genuine. "It was no problem driving you guys around. I'm not actually as tired as I thought I'd-"

"No, not that.... for.... for letting Billy come and stay over. Especially staying over. N-Neil wont.... he never does anything in front of me but... at night.... I've heard all the things he says to him. somatimes... sometimes I hear what he does to him. He might've not shown it but seriously, he is so, so happy and he propably feels a whole lot more comfortable than he would've with...with Neil. I don''t think he could even express how appreciative he actually is in words." Max said in a low voice. She didn't want Billy to hear her either way in a s lgiht worry that he would be mad that she was spilling all of this to Steve.

Steve was silent, as well as El. Both only staring at the girl who oh so obviously cared deeply for Billy. Even if they treated each other like assholes. Steve sighed quietly. Sure, his family wasn't ever there.... but he preferred that than being treated like that by his own father. How could that man do such things to Billy? Steve had begun to know him and.... and Billy was one of the cutest most caring (even if he hid it and tried to never show it) people he had ever met. The fact that Billy had been so patient with him... so understanding.... how he never got mad or impatient during one of Steve's small breakdowns the few times he had seen them... Somone who truly didn't give a shit about people, someone who was actually downright rude would never do that. Steve knew it. Steve had met people like that.

And Billy was not like that.

Steve didn't understand. He did *not* understand how cruel a man had to be to hit such an adorable, sweet, little boy. Steve smiled slightly. "I bet Hopper wouldn't mind you guys staying over however many times you want. So... if someday you need a place to stay, you or Billy, just call me and you both can stay here. I bet El won't mind either, right?" Steve nudged El. She looked up from her candy and nodded. "She'd love to have you over more often. Especially you." Steve gave El a knowing look, causing El to blush the slightest bit. Max caught on a little and a bluch followed her as well. Steve chuckled. God... Max and Billy were so incredibly cute.

//--------//

hopper stood, staring at the tender bruises that seemed to cover most of Billy's back. Hop tried to look into Billy's eyes. But Billy refused. He had somewhat calmed down. his body wasn't shaking as much but there was definetly a tremble there. His hands held his white shirt tightly, making his knuckles turn white from the force. Hopper had no words. His mouth felt heavy. It felt like approcahing a hurt wild animal. Hopper hadn't said a word for a long while. And any new touch made Billy go back to his original state. His trembling would get worse and he gripped his clothes tighter if that was even possible by then. He wasn't sure how to approch him. Even he was a little scared that with a wrong move, Billy would run away, would sprint past him and out of the bathroom. "Billy..." Even when the older man spoke his own name, Billy still flinched with terror. Hop sighed quietly, but not an annoyed sigh. "Billy... I won't tell anyone but... but please.... just explain to me what happened" Hopper pleaded one last time. It felt strange to Hopper to talk so... comforting.... So calming. It was obvious that even just with his voice, Billy seemed to calm down. Hopper had a natural authoritative voice to him. Hopper wasn't sure what to do. Sure, he had talks with El before. He wasn't knew on how to talk to teens. But this was a hurt boy. A hurt, damaged boy that had gone through a lot. A boy that was covered with bruises and seemed frightened. A boy that had gone through such terrible things. This boy wasn't El. Hopper took his hand away from Billy's back.

"You know.... Being a father of a young teenage girl and... well, I guess now an older teen boy, I seek comfort out too, sometimes. Sometimes I do something they don't like and we have discussions. It's hard... I don't know what to do sometimes... how to make them feel better... or how to make the situation better. In the end we always end up on good terms. For example... El used to get mad at me when I didn't 'respect her privacy' or something around there. I didn't like that she was so stubborn about having the door closed and having that boy, Mike, over. I didn't see why she had to close the door! Why she always had to be so close with Mike! I didn't understand... but.... But i know she's starting to grow up and I can't protect her from everything. She'll start making her own decisions. Of course I'm still trying my best to take care of her, guide her, but.... At least now she seemed happier that I'm more loose with the door rule. Steve.... He... he doesn't want to tell his children about his pills.... And his newfound anxiety... I'm not really sure why.... I don't know if he's embarrassed or.... I don't know. But I won't force him to say anything he doesn't want to. I don't even think his friend... Robin is it? I don't think she knows.... But I at least don't force him to do such things.... The point is, there's times that I get really confused, overwhelmed, and frustrated with being a parent that.... That I need someone by my side. And I started finding out that Joyce really helps." Hop pauses for a minute, finding himself chuckling quietly "and... and for you.... Steve told me the outlet day that you, really, really helped him through his visions. I don't think you know just how much you really mean to Steve. El has told me how much he talks to her about you every day. He'll rant to her about you, every little detail. You... you mean a lot to him. A lot. And I can tell that he means a lot to you too." Hopper's voice was lowering into a more quiet whisper.

Billy had stopped shaking. His hands hung more loose around his shirt. "How-.... How about we at least get you patched up? Some of these... some of these seem to be bleeding or... or were. It's better if we disinfect them properly don't you think? Then you can go and get some candy. I personally think that those kids got way too much candy".....

(Helllllllooooooooooooooo :3 I'm uh.... I'm sorry I left for so long... stuffs been going on and... yeah. I'm really, really sorry... I'll try to make it up to you by uploading (hopefully) a few chapters tomorrow because it is DACRE'S BIRTHDAY WOOO AND I WANNA DO A SPECIAL FOR THAT BUT FOR THAT TO HAPPEN I NEED TO ADVANCE A LITTLE MORE IN THE STORY! So I shall go and keep writing now, bye :D)