Bruce's eyes glassed over for a second, locked on me as if trying to find a fault, something to help him drop his curiosity, but even before he stood without a word, I knew he'd come to one conclusion. 

He wasn't satisfied with the information. He needed more. 

I let out a huff, taking the tea with me as I stood up and followed behind Bruce, the two of us making our way towards the bat cave, Bruce's footsteps heavier then usual though continuing their nearly silent pursuit of the door.

Together we plunged into the dark depths, arriving at a dark and damp cave, the blue lights of the machinery accompanying the lovely hum that made sure the place was never quite silent. It was something I had a love and hate relationship with. 

I took another sip as Bruce pushed himself into his chair, spinning the seat around in order to face the screen in front of him, his fingers working faster then he could settle, pushing the letters into the specialized search bar Barbra and Tim had worked to form, a perfected version of Bruce's old one. It brought up everything, and I mean everything that was relevant. It was useful, but I'd never tell this to Tim or Barbra, the two of them already had enough appreciation from the others, a few more empty words would mean nothing. 

As he clicked the final button and results rolled in varying from a kidnapping to a staggering list of failed schools, it finally hit me that I was invading Percy's private life, rummaging through her secrets like a rat in a pantry. I was spy on Percy, my friend, and for what? She wasn't a criminal I needed info on, or a danger to civilians around us, so why was I so desperate to see?

It's because I'm like Bruce. Craving information to fill in the blanks of the world. I suppose the saying "Like father like son" really did hold some merit. The thought filled me with an uncomfortable chill as I brought myself to reality once more, Bruce's mouse clicking on an article about a man named Gabe Ugliano. 

It took a minute for the whole article to load, but once it did a picture of the most disgusting man appeared, his greasy face pulled into the fakest sad look I'd seen...well, ever. His hair barely pulled across the bald spots on the top of his head and his shirt had stains ranging from things that looked like ketchup to unidentified substances. 

My eye drifted from the man to the words around him. 

"Caring Step-Father in desperate pursuit to find criminal step-daughter." The article was old, a few years at least, but as Bruce scrolled down a clear image of a young Percy flashed on the screen. The sudden look almost made me step back. 

If Percy looked happy now it had nothing on then, the image was a picture of Percy on the beach, her arm around the waist of her mom since it seemed to be the only thing her younger self could reach, her black hair was stuck in a permanent breeze, suspended mid air, but what it revealed was startling. 

Percy's eyes, so wide and filled with excitement, they shone, their sea green complexion matching that of the water behind them which almost seemed to brighten in a bubble around them, as if the heavens had combined it's forces to give them the most amazing shot, blessing them with it's light. Percy was missing a tooth, though it seemed to fit, her smile lighting up the surroundings even more then they already were, complementing her blue shirt and tan shorts. 

She looked almost surreal, like a fake family in one of those stock images. Nothing like the Percy now. Sure she was happy but her eyes, they weren't nearly as bright, not nearly as wide when she got happy. 

I ripped my eyes from the younger version of my friend, turning my attention to the woman to her side. Percy's mom; Sally Jackson. 

The woman was the perfect compliment to Percy, her lighter brown hair accompanying Percy's hair in the air, but unlike Percy's bright sea green eyes, her eyes were blue, clear and stunning like the sky. Something different then Dick's eyes which had always been adored by the public, no, there was something about them that captivated you, made you want to hug her and tell her your secrets. Her warm smile wasn't even showing teeth and yet she radiated warmth and happiness, something told me she wouldn't have the situation any other way. 

They were happy. A loving family of smiles and warmth. A kind of family I'd never even imagine Jason coming from. It just didn't seem possible. 

I tried squinting, imagining a young Jason under Percy's other arm, his black hair whipping in the wind as he smiled bright, maybe even a laugh getting carried by the wind, but my brain simply couldn't push itself that far. Jason wasn't like that, like them. I'd never seen Jason smile like that, as bright or warm as the sun itself. 

"She was the terrorist we were nearly sent out to find a few years back." Bruce's demanding tone cut me from my delusion,  grounding me to the true reality of the darker Percy, the pained Jason, the ugly step father that ruined Percy's family image. "The one who turned out to have been kidnapped all along." Bruce mumbled, going back to look through more sources. 

I took in a shallow breath, not liking the path my brain was taking me down. I pulled the tea to my lips, the substance now cold, the aroma lessened and thus less appealing. It was times like these some fire powers would be nice. 

I looked back to the screen, to Bruce. His eyes trained on the screen like a fly to light. I could leave now, save whatever privacy she had left or I could remain in the unknown, hoping that one day Percy would tell me these things herself. 

My grip tightened on the mug as something caught my eye.

"Man killed in front of step-daughter, attacker left dead on the scene as family struggles to pick up pieces." 

I wished I could say I was different to Bruce, to say I didn't need information to keep my world going round, that I didn't need it to feel comfortable in my skin, but I was. My eyes and body ached for information to help me understand the people around me, and so with the final piece of guilt welding itself to my heart I pulled over a chair, sitting as Bruce clicked on the article. 

-------------------------

1888 words