Chapter 4

----

"Oh thank god, you're ok!"Rose wraps her arms around Minho, sighing with relief. After Ben got bitten, Rose could not even function because of the worry taking over her body. So she waited at the maze doors for hours on end, looking out for the boy. And when she finally spotted him, it was like a weight had been lifted off of her chest.

"What happened?" Minho asks, "You never wait at the doors for me."

"Ben... he, uh, he got bitten," Rose tells him.

"During the day?" Minho looks down at her in disbelief. She nods and he breathes out an unsteady breath, "Shit."

They begin to rush into the centre of the maze in silence, trying not to think about the horrible death their friend was going to meet if he was banished.

----

Ben growls as Minho drags him towards the doors. He pleads and cries for help. As they reach the middle of the gladers, everyone around the circle lower their spears, trapping him. Minho cuts the rope holding his hands together and Ben drops to the floor, coughing up black liquid.

"No, no, please don't! Please don't do it!" Ben cries as the ground shakes and the walls begin to close. Minho throws a bag full of food and water into the maze, heart breaking from seeing his friend like this.

"Poles!" Alby shouts and they all - including Rose - lower their poles and slowly walk forward, forcing Ben further and further into the Maze. As the doors close in further, Ben runs into the maze, making sure not to be squished. He lets out a blood curling scream and the doors bang together. The whole glade goes silent.

"He belongs to the maze now," Alby calls out, voice like a whip in the silence. Not being able to bear it anymore, Rose sets her pole down and pushes through the crowd, walking towards the forest. She swerves through the trees, letting her feet take control. She stops and her millions of thoughts all disappear at once when she looks down. George's grave. With a shaking lip, she sits down infront of it, picking up a twig and plays with it in her hand. 

George was the first person to get stung and the first to die in the glade. And the only person Rose had ever killed. She remembers the day like it was yesterday. His dark, ruinous eyes. The black veins tattooed on his neck. The way he clawed at one of the boys, wanting and needing to hurt him. If she hadn't stepped in, an innocent glader would have died. She had to... right? 

"It wasn't your fault," A voice interrupts her from her thoughts. 

"Hm?" She turns around to see the blonde boy towering above her. She meets his eye before spinning back around.

"George's death," He sits down beside her and stares at the grave, "You did what you had to do."

"Yeah, I know that," Rose nods, "But that day, it replays in my mind. I killed someone, Newt."

"You had to," Newt grabs her hand, "If you hadn't, he would have killed someone." Rose stays silent and Newt gets the hint that she didn't want to discuss this anymore so the pair just stare at the memorial.

----

The next few hours were upsetting and painful. The silence carried out throughout the rest of the day until Alby's bangs on Rose's hut echoed through the maze the next morning. And before she knew it, Rose stood at the door of the maze with Minho and Alby, facing Newt.

"Hey, good luck," Newt says, hugging Rose.

"Thanks," She mumbles. 

The trio turn, taking a deep breath and run into the maze. The first few hours are quite boring as they twist and turn through the maze.